There is a big bat in my apartment

• Thread starter PhysicsGente
  • Start date
In summary: These are devices that are specifically designed to remove bats from an area. Get a bat destroyer. These are devices that are specifically designed to remove bats from an area.
PhysicsGente
I'm very scared and I don't know how to get it out. It's flying over the living room and I need to go through there to get out of the apartment. Help please! :cry: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Turn your fear into a weapon by building a combat suit resembling a bat to fight crime in

Likes 1 person
Just get a paper and pick it up by hand. That is how I catch every living things that invades my house.

Kholdstare said:
Just get a paper and pick it up by hand. That is how I catch every living things that invades my house.

You need leather gloves to do that. The towel approach is better and more humane. Bats can carry rabies. In Austin we've advised never to pick up a bat with your hands because of it.

You could also find cat who'll catch a bat (find a dog who'll eat a dog :-) ) but you may not like the outcome.

Run around in circles screaming until you pass out and the bat flies away in fear of a zombie apocalypse.

Likes 1 person
Start a baseball game. Sorry,trying to lighten things up.

When you can, open up all doors, windows you can, if too urgent, open the bathroom door and shut it if it gets in there ( which will lead to another problem; hopefully a smaller one.)

Bacle2 said:
Start a baseball game. Sorry,trying to lighten things up.

When you can, open up all doors, windows you can, if too urgent, open the bathroom door and shut it if it gets in there ( which will lead to another problem; hopefully a smaller one.)

and then maybe the whole bat family will join junior.

PhizKid said:
Turn your fear into a weapon by building a combat suit resembling a bat to fight crime in
Very interesting solution.

jedishrfu said:
and then maybe the whole bat family will join junior.

Right, I didn't think it thru carefully. Maybe the Baseball game will be a better idea.

Guessing you're in the States so this probably isn't relevant, but in the UK, you ring the RSPCA and they come. Bats are a protected species here, I believe.

Because asking a bunch of people on the internet will solve your problem. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRR4iYRRBLk

In the NE US we only have little brown bats. They are tiny and easy to catch (got a long-handled smelt net or similar?) so I don't know what to do with a large bat. Can you lure it outside? In the absence of food, that bat should be looking for another place to live, though you might have to be flexible about giving the critter access to the outside. Good luck with that situation.

Offer it fermented fruit. Afterwards, it will be very easy to get it out

It probably wants out as much as you want it out.

i'd just open the door.

Do you still have Bats in your Belfry or are you completely Bat free?

Last edited:
I just woke up, and it is on the ground right outside my door. I'm going to throw a towel on it and then we'll see.

Some bats can't take off from the ground.

Try placing it on a shrub or small tree limb so it has room for a good flap of its wings. That's why they hang upside down - takeoff is just spread wings and let go.

jim hardy said:
It probably wants out as much as you want it out.

i'd just open the door.

Exactly what I was going to say. Poor thing, I bet it's terrified.

Try to reason with it! First, get a video camera...

Explain to it that you've been living there for a while, and, while you might be open to considering a roommate, this is really not the best way to start off on the right foot. This should at least get it to stop flapping around and listen to you.

If the bat won't leave after that, then it's time to try stronger language and more forceful reasoning. Remind it that it eats bugs and that you don't have any bugs... at all. Nothing in the fridge. Open up the cabinets to show it that you don't have any insects for it to eat at all. (You might have to explain the pepper if you have a transparent peppercorn mill.) If the bat remains reluctant to leave, add this: "even if I had bugs, I've got plenty of spiders already." This might hurt the bat's feelings, but if you've gotten to this point then things aren't going well anyway.

Lastly, if all of the above fails, threaten to call the police. Explain that you've been patient but that this is your home and he's/she's not welcome. This should end the situation. Bat's act tough because of their cultural upbringing, but they really don't want to risk jail time.

When it's all over, upload the video to YouTube and post the link here.

If you have any robins outside your window, they might be able to help you.

FlexGunship said:
Try to reason with it!
It's hard to reason with a creature whose voice is too high pitched for you to hear it.

AlephZero said:
It's hard to reason with a creature whose voice is too high pitched for you to hear it.

I can easily hear bats at night. Of course not their entire "spectrum" of voices but definitely some of it!
I had twice a bat in my house. One was in the kitchen and left by a small window; the kitchen was all dirty afterwards.
The other in my living room (where I had to sleep that night). It stayed there for 2 days until it found out the opened window. At night it would go crazy and I would hide under my blanket until it was calm again and I could chase him with a broom/brush (I don't know the word).

I think you should cook it and eat it for dinner.

Anything that eats mosquitoes is a friend of mine.
A small bat family has moved in behind a shutter.
They remind me of that Leslie Nielsen Dracula movie.

Leslie-Nielsen-Bat--90380.jpg

(picture courtesy of http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/90000/Leslie-Nielsen-Bat--90380.jpg )

Likes 1 person
jim hardy said:
Some bats can't take off from the ground.
As far as I know, no bats can take off from the ground. The power-to-weight ratio is all wrong. That's why they have those extra claws to climb up things if they get grounded.

jtbell said:
If you have any robins outside your window, they might be able to help you.

:rofl:

Jed is correct about the potential rabies risk. I love bats, and very briefly had a pet one until my cat figured out how to unlock the cage, but I have never handled one without leather gloves.
And as Lisab said, it is most assuredly wanting to get the hell away from you and out of the building.

It's finally over. It did actually take off again but ended up trapping itself between the kitchen window and screen. It was easy to let him out from there.

PhysicsGente said:
It's finally over. It did actually take off again but ended up trapping itself between the kitchen window and screen. It was easy to let him out from there.

Anti-climactic.

Get another bat and try again.

PhysicsGente said:

Big mistake.
That was obviously a vampire's scout that was sent to check out your house.Now he's flying back to his master. You are doomed.

bp_psy said:
You are doomed.
No, scouts don't count. The master still has to be invited into the house before he can enter.

Keep it. This constant exposure to fear will make you stronger.

Hmmm ...

Were it trained to sit on your shoulder it'd make a fine accessory for a "Goth" outfit.

tumblr_lzh4tiE6Vg1ro19sdo1_500.jpg

Where's that thread on 'stunts to attract girls' ?

My cat, Jack, brings me bats all of the time. I start by turning out all of the lights and opening a door. Then I go to the farthest room from the door and start slowly turning on the lights in each room until you reach the open door room which is my kitchen. Once I turn on the kitchen light, out the door he goes. It's called Bat Herding. I'm also a Skunk Whisperer.

reminds me of a poor sparrow that flew into my house some years ago, kept slamming its head at a window that no one can reach. When it finally came down it was barely breathing, soon after we discovered it was probably scared to death or from dehydration :(