Therefore, Kenny scores 31 points in the last test.

In summary: Therefore, Kenny's score in the last test is 31 points. In summary, after the fourth test, Kenny's average mark rises by 5 points and after the fifth test, it drops by 9 points. With a total score of 122 points in the last two tests, Kenny's score in the last test is 31 points.
Marcelo Arevalo
After the fourth test, Kenny's average mark rises by 5 points, but after the fifth test, it drops by 9 points.
If his total score in the last two tests is 122 points,
How many points does he score in the last test?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I used Trial & error method;
can somebody teach me how to do this in algebra method?

here's my solution; (After 17 trials, using calculator.. I am dis-appointed in myself.. shame on me! )

Since we know the fact that the last two tests is 122 points in total. I focused my attention to that given fact in Trial & error method.
122-31 = 91
91 is Kenny's fourth test score
the other three test I make them 71, 71, 71 = 71 is the average

solving for the average of four test
71+71+71+91 = 304 / 4 = 76

from the average of three test = 71 then after the fourth test Kenny's mark rises to 76 which satisfy the condition in the problem. it rises by 5 points.

then :
71+71+71+91+31 = 335/5 = 67

then ; from the average of 76 it drop by 9 points into 67

therefore the answer is 31 his score in the last test.

Last edited:
The statement:

"After the fourth test, Kenny's average mark rises by 5 points"

allows us to write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a+b+c+d}{4}=\frac{a+b+c}{3}+5\tag{1}\)

Then the statement:

"after the fifth test, it drops by 9 points"

allows us to write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a+b+c+d+e}{5}=\frac{a+b+c+d}{4}-9\tag{2}\)

And finally, the statement:

"his total score in the last two tests is 122 points"

allows us to write:

\(\displaystyle d+e=122\tag{3}\)

Now, we are being asked to find the value of $e$, so from (3), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle e=122-d\)

And from (2), we find:

\(\displaystyle e=\frac{a+b+c+d}{4}-45\)

And from (1), we have:

\(\displaystyle a+b+c=3d-60\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle e=d-60\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle 122-d=d-60\implies d=91\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle e=91-60=31\)

Related to Therefore, Kenny scores 31 points in the last test.

What is the difference between mean, median, and mode?

The mean is the average of a set of data, calculated by adding all the numbers and dividing by the total number of numbers. The median is the middle value in a set of data when the values are arranged in order. The mode is the most frequently occurring value in a set of data.

How do you calculate the standard deviation?

To calculate the standard deviation, first calculate the mean of the data set. Then, for each number in the data set, subtract the mean and square the result. Add up all the squared differences and divide by the total number of numbers. Finally, take the square root of this result to find the standard deviation.

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a statistical concept that describes a symmetrical bell-shaped curve that represents the distribution of data in a large population. In a normal distribution, most of the data is centered around the mean, with fewer and fewer data points as the values move further away from the mean.

What is the difference between a sample and a population?

A population refers to the entire group that is being studied, while a sample is a smaller subset of the population that is used to make inferences about the entire population. Samples are often used because it is not feasible or practical to collect data from the entire population.

How do you interpret a p-value?

A p-value is a measure of the probability that the results of a study could have occurred by chance. A low p-value (usually less than 0.05) indicates that the results are statistically significant and therefore unlikely to be due to chance. A high p-value means that the results are not statistically significant and could have occurred by chance.