Thermal energy/ heat in a parallel connection

In summary: In series, the voltage is divided between the resistors, so the power would be proportional to the resistance. Since R1 is half of R2, W1 would be half of W2. In summary, in a parallel connection, the heat produced is proportional to the current and in a series connection, it is proportional to the resistance. Therefore, the relation of W1/W2 in a parallel connection is 1:2, while in a series connection it is 1:2.
AnneX
Homework Statement
Nope, I am studying for a quiz
Relevant Equations
Not sure, but R and W could be directly proportional...
In a parallel connection heat is produced.

R1 = 5 Ohm

R2 = 10 Ohm

What is the relation of W1/W2?
1:4

1:2

2:1

1:8

3:1

I’d tend to say 1:2, but I am not really sure…

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats the formula for W? (When you know R and you know something else because they are in parallel.)

The current flowing through R1 is double the current flowing through R2

Do you know any formula for the heat generated W in a resistance R when a current I flows and there is a pd of V across it?

Or, actually, you've <nearly> solved it with your correct answer ##I_1 = 2 I_2##

Edited in <>

Do you know
Power=Voltage x Current ##W=VI##
Voltage = Current x Resistance ##V=IR##
So ## W= VI \ = \ IR I \ = \ I^2R##
or ## I = \frac{V}{R} ##
So ## W= VI \ = \ V \frac{V}{R} \ = \ \frac{V^2}{R} ##

Likes AnneX
E15FD6B3-C293-4534-B6B6-92185C513A2D.jpeg
So, it is 2:1?

Yes.
You can always put some numbers in, as you do here, but the formulae are useful to remember.

Important thing here is, to know that the voltage is the same across both, when they in parallel.
So P=IV tells you that power is proportional to current. Current 2:1 so power 2:1

If they were in series, the current would be the same. If you work out the voltages,
P=IV tells you the power is proportional to the voltage for the same current.

Likes AnneX
Thanks for the help 👍
One more question though, if the two resistors were in series would it be W1 : W2 = 1:2

Last edited:
AnneX said:
One more question though, if the two resistors were in series would it be W1 : W2 = 1:2
Yes.

Likes AnneX

What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that is generated by the movement of particles within a substance. It is also known as heat energy and is measured in joules (J).

How is thermal energy transferred in a parallel connection?

In a parallel connection, thermal energy is transferred through conduction. This means that the particles in one object collide with the particles in the other object, transferring their thermal energy and causing the temperature of both objects to equalize.

What factors affect the transfer of thermal energy in a parallel connection?

The rate of thermal energy transfer in a parallel connection is affected by the temperature difference between the two objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials, and the distance between the objects.

What is the difference between thermal energy and temperature?

Thermal energy refers to the total amount of energy within a substance, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles within a substance. In other words, thermal energy is the sum of all the energy in a substance, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of that energy.

How can thermal energy be harnessed and used?

Thermal energy can be harnessed and used in a variety of ways, such as heating buildings and homes, generating electricity through steam turbines, and powering engines in vehicles. It is a versatile form of energy that can be converted into other forms for practical use.