Thermal excitation of electrons in semiconductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanism of electron excitation in semiconductors at thermal equilibrium and the role of phonon absorption. It also questions the necessity of recombination processes for thermal equilibrium and clarifies the definition of equilibrium as a constant number of excited electrons and holes. The possibility of disregarding chemical equilibrium is also mentioned.
hokhani
Which mechanism in semiconductors is responsible for electron excitation from valence to conduction band in thermal equilibrium at temperature T? Do valence electrons take their excitation energy from the lattice by absorbing phonon? If so, they can be excited at each arbitrary temperature no matter how much the temperature is down!

Another relevant problem:
I don't know why generation and recombination rates must be the same in equilibrium? electrons can be excited without affecting the thermal equilibrium this way:they receive heat from lattice but since they are not localized, they can be participant in thermal equilibrium (in other words the equilibrium is so existing) and we don't necessarily need to have any recombination processes for the equilibrium condition. In brief, having the recombination process is not the necessary condition for thermal equilibrium,and I think the equilibrium can exist by having only the generation process.

could anyone help me please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hokhani said:
Which mechanism in semiconductors is responsible for electron excitation from valence to conduction band in thermal equilibrium at temperature T? Do valence electrons take their excitation energy from the lattice by absorbing phonon? If so, they can be excited at each arbitrary temperature no matter how much the temperature is down!
Right, but the probability (or frequency of those events, if you like) is extremely temperature-dependent.

I don't know why generation and recombination rates must be the same in equilibrium?
That's the definition of equilibrium. A constant number of excited electrons and holes.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
That's the definition of equilibrium. A constant number of excited electrons and holes.

Perhaps I have disregarded the chemical equilibrium (equality of chemical potential) and regarded just the temperature equilibrium! Haven't I?

I don't know what you did, but "equilibrium of X" always means X does not change in time.

What is thermal excitation of electrons in semiconductors?

Thermal excitation of electrons refers to the process of increasing the energy level of electrons in a semiconductor material due to an increase in temperature. This results in more electrons being able to move freely, allowing for better conductivity.

How does thermal excitation affect the properties of semiconductors?

Thermal excitation can significantly impact the properties of semiconductors. As the temperature increases, more electrons become excited and are able to move, resulting in increased conductivity and decreased resistivity. This can also lead to changes in the band gap and other electrical properties.

What is the relationship between temperature and thermal excitation in semiconductors?

The relationship between temperature and thermal excitation in semiconductors is directly proportional. As the temperature increases, the number of thermally excited electrons also increases. This relationship is described by the Boltzmann distribution, which shows the distribution of energy levels of electrons at different temperatures.

How does doping affect thermal excitation in semiconductors?

Doping, the process of intentionally adding impurities to a semiconductor material, can affect thermal excitation. Doping can alter the energy levels of electrons, making them easier to excite at lower temperatures. This can result in improved conductivity and other electrical properties of the semiconductor.

What are some practical applications of thermal excitation in semiconductors?

Thermal excitation is crucial for the operation of many electronic devices, such as transistors and diodes. It also plays a significant role in the performance of solar cells, as higher temperatures can increase the efficiency of converting light into electricity. Additionally, thermal excitation is important in the production of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and lasers.