The Mystery of Excited Electrons: Are They Moving Away from the Nucleus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the location of electrons in the conduction band and their relationship to the nucleus. The picture mentioned is classical in nature and the band structure is a feature of energy, not space. In the conduction band, electrons are free to move over long distances and are no longer tethered to a particular atom. This is important for conduction to occur.
Mustafa Bayram
when an electron is excited to the conduction band is it move further from the nucleus?
Are free electrons in the conduction band further from valence electrons?
I saw this picture that seems problematic to me. what do you think?

conduction band.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what that picture represents, but (1) it looks like a very classical-minded picture and (2) the band structure is a feature in energy, not in space.

Generally speaking, higher-energy electrons are farther away from the nucleus, and therefore further away from core electrons. But the proper description is quantum mechanical, so you can't assign a precise position to an electron. Even high-energy electrons have a non-zero probability of being found near the nucleus.

In the conduction band, electrons are no longer tethered to a particular atom and are free to move over long distances.

Likes DrChinese
DrClaude said:
I am not sure what that picture represents
Me neither, but for some reason I remember that I need to pick up some thing at Target.
DrClaude said:
In the conduction band, electrons are no longer tethered to a particular atom
This is key. Can you write it again?

If all the electrons were strongly localized to a nucleus, you wouldn't have conduction!

• Haha
Likes DrChinese

1. What are excited electrons and why are they important?

Excited electrons are electrons that have absorbed energy and moved to a higher energy level. They are important because they play a crucial role in chemical reactions and the functioning of electronic devices.

2. How do electrons become excited?

Electrons become excited when they absorb energy, usually in the form of heat, light, or electricity. This energy causes them to move to a higher energy level, away from the nucleus.

3. Are excited electrons moving away from the nucleus?

Yes, excited electrons are moving away from the nucleus. This is because they have absorbed energy and moved to a higher energy level, which is further away from the nucleus.

4. What happens to excited electrons after they have absorbed energy?

After absorbing energy, excited electrons can release the excess energy in the form of light or heat and return to their original energy level. They can also transfer the energy to other particles, causing chemical reactions.

5. How do scientists study the behavior of excited electrons?

Scientists use a variety of techniques such as spectroscopy and quantum mechanics to study the behavior of excited electrons. These techniques allow them to observe and measure the energy levels and movements of electrons in different systems.