Thermal gradients in electrical paths of thermocouple conductors

In summary, there is a problem with temperature measurement in a high-pressure, high-temperature environment using thermocouples. The measuring junction is suspended in an electrically-insulating solid with conductors A and B extending out and held in contact with separate tungsten carbide cylinders. The cylinders are liquid cooled and there are concerns about potential temperature differences along the electrical paths that could affect voltage and accuracy of measurements. The individual wires may also be gathering unwanted signals. The asker is seeking suggestions for improving the accuracy of temperature measurements in this setup.
erichp
I recently inherited a problem related to temperature measurement.

Thermcouples (d- and k- type) are being used in a high-pressure, high-temperature environment, with the measuring junction suspended in an electrically-insulating solid. The leads of conductors A and B extend out of the solid and, each is held in contact with a separate tungsten carbide cylinder. Around each cylinder, there is a press-fitted steel ring. From that steel ring, wires lead to the instrument where voltages are compared.

I realize this setup is non-ideal for several reasons, but the one I'm most concerned about is this: Each cylinder system is liquid cooled, and it's possible that the temperature at a given point on cylinder A is different than the temperature at the corresponding point on cylinder B. I'm concerned that the difference in temperatures along the electrical paths could alter voltages and lead to inaccurate temperature measurements.

Has anybody dealt with anything similar? Do you have suggestions that can help me get accurate temperature measurements?

Please forgive my ignorance on the topic - if more information is required, please let me know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the wires going separately gather unwanted signals - the "noise" .

What are thermal gradients?

Thermal gradients refer to the variation in temperature along a certain path or direction. In the context of thermocouple conductors, it refers to the difference in temperature between the two junctions of the thermocouple.

Why are thermal gradients important in thermocouple conductors?

Thermal gradients are important because they can affect the accuracy and reliability of temperature measurements made by thermocouples. This is because the voltage output of a thermocouple is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the two junctions, and any significant thermal gradients can lead to errors in the measurement.

How do thermal gradients affect the accuracy of thermocouple measurements?

As mentioned earlier, thermal gradients can cause errors in temperature measurements made by thermocouples. This is because the voltage output of a thermocouple is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the two junctions, and any thermal gradients can result in an inaccurate measurement.

What factors can contribute to thermal gradients in thermocouple conductors?

There are several factors that can contribute to thermal gradients in thermocouple conductors. These include the composition and size of the thermocouple wires, the materials and insulation used in the thermocouple construction, and the temperature and environment in which the thermocouple is being used.

How can thermal gradients be minimized in thermocouple conductors?

To minimize thermal gradients in thermocouple conductors, it is important to use high-quality materials and proper insulation, as well as to carefully design and construct the thermocouple. Additionally, taking accurate and consistent temperature measurements and calibrating the thermocouple regularly can also help to reduce thermal gradients and improve the accuracy of the measurements.