Thermal Physics: Freezing Lake

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Fourier's law of Conduction to solve a differential equation related to the change in thickness of ice over time. The equation is separable and can be easily solved through integration. The conversation also highlights the importance of correctly formulating the differential equation and the inclusion of a negative sign in the equation due to the infinitesimal volume losing energy.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 2.20.28 AM.png

Homework Equations

dQ/dt = -kA(dT/dx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use Fourier's law of Conduction on this one. I subbed dT for (Θ0 - Θ1), and l(t) (function for thickness of ice against time) for dx, reason being that the sheet of ice should get thicker.

I then substituted dQ = dmLf = ρALfdl (reason being that the infinitesimal energy dQ lost from the water should cause it to change phase / freeze by a volume of A(area) x dl) before arriving at:

dl/dt = -k/(ρLf) x (Θ0 - Θ1) / l(t) and getting stuck,

help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly what about the differential equation are you stuck with? It is separable so solving it should be a simple matter of integration.

I agree with Orodruin. You have already correctly completed the hard part of correctly formulating the differential equation. Solving the differential equation is supposed to be the easy part. If you can't figure out how to solve the differential equation, take their answer and differentiate it with respect to time; then compare the result with your own differential equation.

I managed to get the final equation after some work.

However I realized that i had to change dQ = dmLf = ρALfdl to dQ = -dmLf = -ρALfdl

I rationalised that this negative sign was down to the infinitesimal volume losing energy, is this the right way to think about it?

Thank you both for your responses.

What causes a lake to freeze?

When the temperature of a lake drops below its freezing point, the water molecules begin to slow down and move closer together. This causes them to form a solid crystal lattice, resulting in the freezing of the lake.

What is the freezing point of a lake?

The freezing point of a lake is dependent on several factors, including altitude, salinity, and impurities in the water. However, in general, freshwater lakes freeze at 0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit).

Can a lake freeze completely?

Yes, it is possible for a lake to freeze completely. However, this is more likely to happen in smaller lakes or bodies of water with less volume. Larger lakes may have areas that do not freeze due to the movement of water and changes in temperature.

How does the freezing of a lake impact its ecosystem?

The freezing of a lake can have a significant impact on its ecosystem. It can cause a decrease in oxygen levels, making it difficult for aquatic plants and animals to survive. It can also disrupt the food chain and affect the migration patterns of certain species.

What is the role of thermal physics in understanding the freezing of a lake?

Thermal physics helps us understand the movement and behavior of heat energy in a lake. It explains the changes in temperature and how they affect the state of the lake, including the process of freezing. Without an understanding of thermal physics, we would not be able to accurately predict or explain the freezing of a lake.