Thermal physics - partition function

In summary, the conversation discusses a thermal physics problem related to the partition function and the average energy of a one-dimensional ideal gas of molecules. The first part of the problem involves computing the partition function and showing that the average energy is equal to N(kB)T. The second part estimates the temperature at which the assumption of the first part breaks down. In the third part, the entropy is found and it is questioned whether the expression breaks down at low temperatures. The breakdown temperature for this expression is discussed and compared to the breakdown temperature in part b). The conversation ends with a question about the necessity of assuming a large temperature when finding the entropy.
jessawells
Hi,
i'm having trouble with a thermal physics problem relating to the partition function and i was wondering if anyone could help me out. the problem is as follows:

(a) Consider a molecule which has energy levels En=c|n| , where n is a vector with integer components. Compute the partition function for a
one-dimensional ideal gas of such molecules. Show that the average energy (assuming large temperature compared to the difference between adjacent energy levels) gives U=N(kB)T.

(b) Take c=0.5eV. For a lab-sized box of gas of our molecules, estimate the temperature (in Kelvins) at which the assumption of part (a) breaks down.

(c) Find the entropy. Figure out if this expression breaks down at low temperature. Are the two breakdown temperatures of (b) and (c) similar? Why or why not?

----------------------------------
For part b), I guess the assumption is that the temperature, t (in fundamental units), is much greater than the change in energy levels, (E(n+1) - E(n)). As i understand, this assumption was used so that the summation in the partition function can be approximated by an integral.

Let T be temperature in kelvins and kB be the boltzman constant. I got,

t >> E(n+1) - E(n)
t >> c|n+1| - c|n|
t >> c
t >> 0.5eV
(kB)T >> 0.5eV
T >> [0.5eV * 1.602 *10^-19 J/eV] / kB
T >> 5802.26 Kelvins

Is my approach for doing this problem correct?

----------------------------------------

I'm mainly stuck on part c). let s = entropy (in fundamental units), F = free energy, t = temperature (in fundamental units) and Z = partition function. let N = # of gas molecules in the box.

I found the entropy as follows:

from part a), i found Z to be 1/N! * (t/c)^N

s = - dF/dt
= - d/dt [-t ln(z)]
= d/dt [t ln(1/N! * (t/c)^N)]
= d/dt t[ln(t^N) - ln(c^N) - N ln(N) + N] --> by stirling's approx.
= N [ln(t/cN) +2]

I don't know where to go from here. how does this expression break down at low temperature? It seems like the only temperature that doesn't work is 0 and also negative temperatures, since you can't take the log of 0 or negatives. but t can't be negative anyway because we're using fundamental units (eg. NOT the celsius scale). how would i find the breakdown temperature in this case? is it supposed to be different than the answer in part b)? I understand why we must assume a large temperature in part a) (t/change in energy >> 1) - it's so we could approximate the summation by an integral when we're finding the partition function. But I don't understand why we need to assume a large temperature when finding the entropy. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,what is the limit
[tex] \lim_{t\rightarrow 0} S [/tex]

and compare it with the limit which should be,according to the third principle of thermodynamics.

Daniel.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your thermal physics problem. I will try my best to explain the concepts and guide you through the solution.

Firstly, let's define the partition function Z as the sum of the Boltzmann factors for all possible energy states of the system:

Z = Σe^(-E_i/kT)

where E_i is the energy of the i-th state and k is the Boltzmann constant.

(a) In this problem, we are dealing with a one-dimensional ideal gas of molecules with energy levels En=c|n|. The partition function for this system can be written as:

Z = Σe^(-c|n|/kT)

To solve this, we can use the geometric series formula:

Σx^n = 1/(1-x), where |x|<1

Applying this formula to our partition function, we get:

Z = Σe^(-c|n|/kT) = 1/(1-e^(-c/kT))

Now, we can use the fact that at high temperatures, the difference between adjacent energy levels is much smaller compared to the temperature, i.e. (E(n+1)-E(n))<<kT. This allows us to approximate the sum as an integral:

Z ≈ 1/(1-e^(-c/kT)) = ∫e^(-c|n|/kT)dn

Evaluating this integral, we get:

Z ≈ kT/c

Now, we can use this partition function to find the average energy <E>:

<E> = -∂ln(Z)/∂β = -∂/∂βln(kT/c) = kT

where β = 1/kT.

So, we have shown that the average energy of the system is <E> = N(kB)T, which is the expected result for an ideal gas.

(b) To estimate the temperature at which the assumption of part (a) breaks down, we need to find the temperature at which (E(n+1)-E(n)) ~ kT. Substituting the given value of c = 0.5eV into this equation, we get:

(E(n+1)-E(n)) ~ 0.5eV ~ kT

Solving for T, we

Related to Thermal physics - partition function

1. What is the partition function in thermal physics?

The partition function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics and thermodynamics to describe the distribution of energy among the different possible states of a system at a given temperature.

2. How is the partition function calculated?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible states of a system, each weighted by a factor that depends on the energy and temperature of the system. Mathematically, it can be expressed as Z = ∑e^(-E/kT), where E is the energy of a state, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in thermal physics?

The partition function allows us to determine the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its energy, entropy, and free energy, by using statistical mechanics. It also helps us understand the behavior of a system at different temperatures and how it transitions between different states.

4. How does the partition function relate to entropy?

The partition function is directly related to the entropy of a system. In fact, the entropy can be calculated from the partition function using the relation S = k ln(Z), where k is the Boltzmann constant. This shows that the partition function is a fundamental quantity in understanding the thermodynamic behavior of a system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the partition function?

The partition function has many important applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used in studying the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as in understanding phase transitions and chemical reactions. It is also used in fields such as astrophysics, where it helps in modeling the behavior of stars and galaxies.