Why Is My Calculation of Heat Energy Incorrect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a glass beaker and water from 18.5 degrees Celsius to 98.5 degrees Celsius. The specific heat capacity of glass and water is mentioned, and there is a realization that the heat energy should be calculated separately for each instead of grouping them together. The correct answer is stated to be 6.29 x 10^4, but there may have been an error in rounding or converting units.
Noawun
Homework Statement
A glass beaker of mass 215g contains 145g of water at 18.5 degrees Celsius. If the specific heat capacity of glass is 8.4 x 10^2 J kg^-1 K^-1, how much heat energy would need to be supplied to raise the temperature of the glass and water to 98.5 degrees Celsius?
Relevant Equations
Q=mc\Delta T
At first, I tried to calculate the heat energy required by doing this:
IMG_DB51C510AD86-1.jpeg

I realized I should calculate heat energy separately instead of grouping glass and water together so I did this:

IMG_729D7A630229-1.jpeg

But the answer is supposed to be 6.29 x 10^4.

I don't know how to solve this. Can anyone help please? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Noawun said:
Homework Statement:: A glass beaker of mass 215g contains 145g of water at 18.5 degrees Celsius. If the specific heat capacity of glass is 8.4 x 10^2 J kg^-1 K^-1, how much heat energy would need to be supplied to raise the temperature of the glass and water to 98.5 degrees Celsius?
Relevant Equations:: Q=mc\Delta T

At first, I tried to calculate the heat energy required by doing this:
View attachment 295998
I realized I should calculate heat energy separately instead of grouping glass and water together so I did this:

View attachment 295999

But the answer is supposed to be 6.29 x 10^4.

I don't know how to solve this. Can anyone help please? Thank you
I get 63168, rounding to 63200. I suspect someone made the error of rounding intermediate values.

It also looks like he's mixed units (g vers kg) which gives the 10^3 difference in his answer? (I didn't check his work in detail, though)

berkeman said:
It also looks like he's mixed units (g vers kg) which gives the 10^3 difference in his answer? (I didn't check his work in detail, though)
Well spotted! Looking only at the last line, I misread the handwritten exponent 7, with its continental centre line and the graph paper line at the left, as a four.

Likes berkeman

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one unit mass of a substance by one degree Celsius.

How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the amount of heat absorbed or released during a chemical or physical process. The specific heat capacity can then be calculated using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature. It also plays a crucial role in determining the amount of energy needed for processes such as heating and cooling, and is essential in the design of efficient thermal systems.

What factors affect specific heat capacity?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is affected by its mass, temperature, and chemical composition. Substances with higher molecular weights tend to have higher specific heat capacities, while substances with stronger intermolecular forces have lower specific heat capacities.

How does specific heat capacity differ from heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity and heat capacity are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different. Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of an entire object, while specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance. In other words, specific heat capacity takes into account the mass of the substance, while heat capacity does not.