Thermal radiation lab experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses planning and carrying out an experiment on thermal radiation as part of a physics lab module. The purpose of the experiment is to verify the Stefan-Boltzmann law by investigating the radiation from a bulb filament as a function of input power. The suggested method is to plot power against temperature raised to the fourth power and divide the gradient by the surface area to get a value close to Stefan's constant. There are two questions regarding the measurement of surface area and input power, which are discussed and resolved. The conclusion is that the surface area of the filament is the critical factor in this experiment.
subzero0137
Hi,

I have to plan and carry out an experiment on thermal radiation as part of my physics lab module. The description of the experiment is as follows: Investigate the radiation from a bulb filament as a function of input power, using a pyrometer to measure the temperature of the filament.

I'm guessing the purpose of this experiment is to verify the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that P=AσT^4 where P is the power radiated from the object, A is the surface area of the object (filament or light bulb?) and T is its temperature in Kelvin, and σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant. So, plotting P against T^4, and dividing the gradient of the resultant graph by A should give me a value close to Stefan's constant. But I have 2 questions:

1) Should I measure the surface area of the bulb, or the filament?
2) Can I assume input power = P, so that I can calculate the values of P using a multimeter in a circuit?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
subzero0137 said:
1) Should I measure the surface area of the bulb, or the filament?
If you kept the filament the same but made the bulb ten times the diameter, would the power from it change?
2) Can I assume input power = P, so that I can calculate the values of P using a multimeter in a circuit?
Seems fair.

haruspex said:
If you kept the filament the same but made the bulb ten times the diameter, would the power from it change?

I don't think it would.

subzero0137 said:
I don't think it would.
Right, so which area matters?

haruspex said:
Right, so which area matters?

The surface area of the filament.

subzero0137 said:
The surface area of the filament.

Yes.

Likes 1 person

What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is the transfer of heat energy through electromagnetic waves, without the need for a medium. It is also known as infrared radiation and is a form of heat transfer that can be observed in everyday life, such as feeling the warmth of the sun or a fire.

Why is studying thermal radiation important?

Studying thermal radiation is important for understanding how heat is transferred and how it affects different materials. It is also crucial in various fields such as engineering, materials science, and climate science.

What is a thermal radiation lab experiment?

A thermal radiation lab experiment is a scientific procedure that involves measuring and analyzing the transfer of heat energy through electromagnetic waves. It usually involves using specialized equipment and following specific protocols to ensure accurate results.

What are some common materials used in thermal radiation lab experiments?

Some common materials used in thermal radiation lab experiments include blackened metal surfaces, reflective surfaces such as aluminum foil, and insulating materials like foam or glass. These materials are chosen to study how different surfaces affect the transfer of heat energy through thermal radiation.

What are some potential applications of thermal radiation lab experiments?

Thermal radiation lab experiments have various applications, including developing more efficient insulation materials, studying the effects of heat on different surfaces, and understanding the Earth's energy balance and climate change. They also have practical uses in industries such as solar energy, electronics, and aerospace engineering.