Heat loss from a hot water tank

Based on the information given, it seems like you have everything you need to calculate both i) and ii). In summary, the conversation was discussing using the equations q=UAdT and P=E(Stefan constant)(Area)(T^4 - T^4 in kelvin) to solve for the values of U and E, respectively. The calculations were done correctly, but it was noted that the values of U and E should have been provided in the exam.
sci0x
Homework Statement
Water in an insulated hot water tank is maintained at 80 degrees C. The external area of tank is 35m2. Calculate heat loss by i) convection ii) radiation
Relevant Equations
Q=UAdT
This is a past exam paper Q.
I think i might be missing info though.

For i) i use q=UAdT
A= 35m2
dT= (80-20)
They haven't given U but if i know answer should be 1,050W
So if i set U to 0.5

(0.5)(35)(60)
= 1050W

Am i missing something or could I calculate U with the info given?

Also ii)
Use stefan-boltzmann eq:

P = E(Stefan constant)(Area)(T^4 - T^4 in kelvin)
I don't have E the emissivity coefficient
Stefan constant is 5.67 x 10-8
80 degrees in K is 353.15
20 degrees in K is 293.15
P=E(162107.003)

The answer should be 643W
Can i calculate radiation from info given?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks ok to me, except the decimal point is off in P=E(162107.003) .

The values of U and E should have been provided in the exam.

Likes sci0x

1. How does heat escape from a hot water tank?

Heat escapes from a hot water tank through a process called convection. As the water in the tank heats up, it becomes less dense and rises to the top, allowing cooler water to take its place. This constant movement of water causes heat to transfer from the tank to its surroundings.

2. What factors affect heat loss from a hot water tank?

The rate of heat loss from a hot water tank is influenced by several factors, including the size and shape of the tank, the insulation and thickness of the tank's walls, the ambient temperature, and the temperature of the water inside the tank.

3. How can I reduce heat loss from my hot water tank?

To reduce heat loss from your hot water tank, you can insulate the tank and its pipes, turn down the temperature of the water heater, and use a tank cover or blanket. Additionally, regularly maintaining your hot water tank can ensure it is functioning efficiently and not losing excess heat.

4. Does the location of my hot water tank affect heat loss?

Yes, the location of your hot water tank can affect heat loss. For example, if your tank is located in a cold or unheated area, it will lose more heat than if it was in a warmer location. It is important to consider the placement of your hot water tank when trying to reduce heat loss.

5. How can I calculate the heat loss from my hot water tank?

The rate of heat loss from a hot water tank can be calculated using a formula that takes into account the surface area of the tank, the temperature difference between the water and the surroundings, and the thermal conductivity of the tank's materials. This calculation can be complex, so it is often best to consult a professional for an accurate estimate.