Thermochemistry, heat calculation.

In summary, by using the formula q=mC\DeltaT, the heat released for the acid-base reaction was calculated to be 460J. However, this was found to be incorrect and further analysis is needed to determine the correct value.
AerospaceEng

Homework Statement

When 10.00 mL of a solution of strong acid is mixed with 100.00 mL of a solution of weak base in a coffee-cup calorimeter, the temperature rises from 22.8 oC to 26.8 oC. Determine q for the acid-base reaction, assuming that the liquids have densities of 1.00 g/mL and the same heat capacities as pure water.

Homework Equations

total volume V=110.0mL
change in temperature delta T = 4
mass m = 110.0g
heat capacity for water C=75.291J/(mol[itex]\circ[/itex]C

q = nC[itex]\Delta[/itex]T
q = mC[itex]\Delta[/itex]T

The Attempt at a Solution

so I used the formula

q = mC[itex]\Delta[/itex]T

because with the information given i couldn't find the number of moles and because only the molar heat capacity is given to use i had to find the mass based heat capacity and I found it to be C = 4181.3J/KgK

and then found q = 460J

which then the computer told me it was wrong.

It seemed odd that i had to go find the heat capacity rather than use the one provided. So I feel already there's my first mistake. But i know the formula is right so I can't see why it wouldn't work. However clearly my chemistry isn't that strong so perhaps I'm missing something. Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get 460 J for q=mcΔT when m=0.11 kg, ΔT=4 and c=4181.3 J/kgK?

ehild

1. What is thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the study of the relationship between heat and chemical reactions. It involves the measurement and calculation of heat energy involved in chemical reactions and changes in state of matter.

2. How is heat calculated in thermochemistry?

Heat is calculated using the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What is the difference between exothermic and endothermic reactions?

An exothermic reaction releases heat energy into the surroundings, resulting in a temperature increase. On the other hand, an endothermic reaction absorbs heat energy from the surroundings, resulting in a temperature decrease.

4. How is enthalpy related to thermochemistry?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total heat content in a system. In thermochemistry, enthalpy change (ΔH) is used to calculate the heat energy involved in a chemical reaction.

5. Why is thermochemistry important?

Thermochemistry is important because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions. It also has practical applications in industries such as food processing, energy production, and pharmaceuticals.