Thermodynamic constant -- misunderstanding

In summary, Thermodynamics constants are defined as the coefficients of volumetric thermal expansion and bulk compliance. The V's are included because they are conventions and they vary with both temperature and pressure. By dividing by V, physical dimensions or units of dotted ##\alpha,\beta## become simple, i.e. ##T^{-1},P^{-1}.## Now dotted ##\alpha,\beta## do not depend on volume of the system e.g. 200 ml or 400 ml of volume prepared in the experiments do not matter for measurement of these constants. However, by omitting the V, the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion would be more intuitive, for example alpha being meter cube
mohamed_a
I was reading about thermodynamics in my textbook wheni came across the following thermodynamics constants:
1658871292131.png

However, i don't understand why did we define 1/V inthe constants. What is the point in doing this?

Science news on Phys.org
By dividing by V, physical dimensions or units of dotted ##\alpha,\beta## become simple, i.e. ##T^{-1},P^{-1}.##
Now dotted ##\alpha,\beta## do not depend on volume of the system e.g. 200 ml or 400 ml of volume prepared in the experiments do not matter for measurement of these constants.

##\dot{\alpha}## and ##\dot{\beta}## are not constants. They vary (typically gradually) with both temperature and pressure. However, the V's are included in these definitions because ##\dot{\alpha}## is what we conventionally define as the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion and ##\dot{\beta}## is what we conventionally define as the bulk compliance of a material (the reciprocal of the bulk modulus).

Likes vanhees71
anuttarasammyak said:
By dividing by V, physical dimensions or units of dotted ##\alpha,\beta## become simple, i.e. ##T^{-1},P^{-1}.##
Now dotted ##\alpha,\beta## do not depend on volume of the system e.g. 200 ml or 400 ml of volume prepared in the experiments do not matter for measurement of these constants.
i still can't find a use of this .So, omitting the V would just make the coefficient more intuitive, for example alpha being meter cube/ kelvin this points more to a rate which makes more sense.

Why would your method be better than giving the % change in volume per unit change in temperature? Besides, your method would depend on the initial volume, and this definition wouldn't. Plus, their definition gives a value that is much more constant than yours does. Do you really think you are smarter than these brilliant scientists who worked this out and studied it over the past few hundred years?

Likes Lord Jestocost and vanhees71
Chestermiller said:
##\dot{\alpha}## and ##\dot{\beta}## are not constants. They vary (typically gradually) with both temperature and pressure. However, the V's are included in these definitions because ##\dot{\alpha}## is what we conventionally define as the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion and ##\dot{\beta}## is what we conventionally define as the bulk compliance of a material (the reciprocal of the bulk modulus).
So is it just a matter of definition?
Chestermiller said:
Why would your method be better than giving the % change in volume per unit change in temperature? Besides, your method would depend on the initial volume, and this definition wouldn't. Plus, their definition gives a value that is much more constant than yours does. Do you really think you are smarter than these brilliant scientists who worked this out and studied it over the past few hundred years?
that's a probing question not an objection because i couldn't grasp the intuition. However, i understood it when i read wikipedia's page about it. the problem is i didn't understand its meaning because i didn't apply it on an example.

mohamed_a said:
i still can't find a use of this .So, omitting the V would just make the coefficient more intuitive, for example alpha being meter cube/ kelvin this points more to a rate which makes more sense.
I would tell more about this implication
of definition
[tex]\alpha(T,p)=(\frac{\partial \log \frac{V}{V_0}}{\partial T})_p[/tex]
where ##V_0## is volume with temperature ##T=T_0##
For simplicity of notion under the condition p=const. through the discussion
[tex]\alpha(T)=\frac{d \log \frac{V}{V_0}}{d T}[/tex]
It is integrated to be
[tex]V=V_0 e^{\int_{T_0}^T \alpha(T)dt}[/tex]
In case ##\alpha## is constant
[tex]V=V_0 e^{\alpha (T-T_0)}[/tex]
Further when ##\alpha (T-T_0) << 1##
[tex]V=V_0 (1+\alpha (T-T_0))[/tex]
We can make use of thus defined ##\alpha## to express thermal expansion nature of matter in such a way. I hope you would share its convenience with us.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and mohamed_a
anuttarasammyak said:
I would tell more about this implication
of definition
[tex]\alpha(T,p)=(\frac{\partial \log \frac{V}{V_0}}{\partial T})_p[/tex]
where ##V_0## is volume with temperature ##T=T_0##
For simplicity of notion under the condition p=const. through the discussion
[tex]\alpha(T)=\frac{d \log \frac{V}{V_0}}{d T}[/tex]
It is integrated to be
[tex]V=V_0 e^{\int_{T_0}^T \alpha(T)dt}[/tex]
In case ##\alpha## is constant
[tex]V=V_0 e^{\alpha (T-T_0)}[/tex]
Further when ##\alpha (T-T_0) << 1##
[tex]V=V_0 (1+\alpha (T-T_0))[/tex]
We can make use of thus defined ##\alpha## to express thermal expansion nature of matter in such a way. I hope you would share its convenience with us.
thanks for your generosity. the explanation is amazing and it deepened my understanding

Likes Delta2, Chestermiller and anuttarasammyak

1. What is a thermodynamic constant?

A thermodynamic constant is a physical quantity that remains constant in a system undergoing thermodynamic processes. It is used to describe the behavior of a system and is often represented by symbols such as "R" for the gas constant and "k" for the Boltzmann constant.

2. What is the misunderstanding surrounding thermodynamic constants?

The misunderstanding surrounding thermodynamic constants is that they are often assumed to be universal constants, when in fact they can vary depending on the system and conditions being studied. This can lead to incorrect calculations and interpretations of data.

3. How are thermodynamic constants determined?

Thermodynamic constants are determined through experimental measurements and theoretical calculations. They can also be derived from other fundamental constants, such as Avogadro's number and the speed of light.

4. Are thermodynamic constants important in everyday life?

Yes, thermodynamic constants play a crucial role in many everyday processes and technologies. For example, the gas constant is used in the Ideal Gas Law to predict the behavior of gases, and the Boltzmann constant is used in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a system.

5. Can thermodynamic constants change over time?

Yes, thermodynamic constants can change over time as our understanding of the universe and technology advances. For example, the value of the gravitational constant has been refined over the years as more precise measurements are made. However, these changes are often very small and do not significantly impact everyday applications.