Thermodynamic state having 2 degrees of freedom (i.e., for properties)

In summary, Gibbs' Phase Rule can be used to simplify the explanation of why there are only 3 phases at a point, and why intensive properties are not part of the DOF.
swampwiz
TL;DR Summary
What is the underlying reason that thermodynamic state has 2 degrees of freedom - i.e., that any 2 properties (saturated state excepted) completely determines the state?
I'm trying to delve into the reason why this is so. It seems that there are 5 fundamental properties:

P - Pressure
V - Volume (specific)
T - Temperature
S - Entropy (specific)
U - Internal Energy

(Yes, there are other types of energy, but they are fully determinable from these 5 - e.g., Enthalpy: H = U + PV)

Since there are 5 such possible domain variables, having a net of 2 DOF means that there must be 3 constraint equations. The 1st Law of Thermodynamics provides 1 of the equations:

dU = δQ - δW = T dS - P dV

so what are the other 2?

I can see for an ideal gas that the Ideal Gas law provides another:

p V = R T

but even for this model, there must be yet another.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know about "Gibbs' Phase Rule"? That might help to answer your question

Likes Chestermiller
Master1022 said:
Do you know about "Gibbs' Phase Rule"? That might help to answer your question
So it seems that because the the 1st Law of Thermodynamics involves only 2 true-extensive properties T & P (i.e., specific Volume or Entropy is not a true-extensive property), the topology is as per a 2-D domain, with the result that phases are regions within that domain, and thus a maximum of 3 phases can exist at single points, with there being 0 DOF of those true-extensive properties there (e.g., the triple point has no DOF - it is a singular point), and such that along points at which there are 2 phases (i.e., saturation paths), there is 1 DOF of true-extensive properties (e.g., saturated water liquid/vapor has a specific temperature for a given pressure and vice-versa), and thus 2 DOF when inside a solitary phase.

However, this idea can be simplified such that the number of true-extensive properties is the number of DOF outside of a saturation state. But this doesn't explain why intensive properties are not part of the DOF. I think there is a deeper reason here.

1. What is a thermodynamic state with 2 degrees of freedom?

A thermodynamic state with 2 degrees of freedom refers to a system that can be described by two independent properties. These properties could be temperature, pressure, volume, or any other measurable quantity that determines the state of the system. In other words, the state of the system can be uniquely determined by specifying two of these properties.

2. How is a thermodynamic state with 2 degrees of freedom different from a state with 3 degrees of freedom?

A state with 2 degrees of freedom is different from a state with 3 degrees of freedom in terms of the number of independent properties needed to describe the system. In a state with 2 degrees of freedom, only two independent properties are needed, while in a state with 3 degrees of freedom, three independent properties are required. This means that a system with 2 degrees of freedom has fewer possible states compared to a system with 3 degrees of freedom.

3. Can a thermodynamic state with 2 degrees of freedom change?

Yes, a thermodynamic state with 2 degrees of freedom can change. This can happen when one or both of the independent properties that define the state are altered. For example, if the temperature and pressure of a gas are the two independent properties, changing the temperature or pressure will result in a different state with 2 degrees of freedom.

4. What is the significance of a thermodynamic state with 2 degrees of freedom?

A thermodynamic state with 2 degrees of freedom is significant because it allows us to describe and understand the behavior of a system in a simplified manner. By knowing the values of two independent properties, we can predict the state of the system and how it will respond to changes in those properties. This helps in the analysis and design of various thermodynamic processes and systems.

5. How is the concept of thermodynamic state with 2 degrees of freedom applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of thermodynamic state with 2 degrees of freedom is applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in the design of refrigeration systems, engines, and power plants. In these systems, the state of the working fluid is constantly changing, and by understanding the 2 degrees of freedom, engineers can predict and optimize the performance of these systems. It is also used in the study of thermodynamic processes, such as adiabatic expansion and isothermal compression, to analyze and understand the behavior of gases and other substances.