Thermodynamics and Carnot engines - university exam question

In summary, the radioactive material will be used to power a deep space probe and the efficiency of the engine will be determined by the rate at which work can be done. If the power generated by the power source decreases exponentially with time (t is greater than 0), then the total amount of work that the source will provide over its whole life is given by
danieljones123

Homework Statement

A block of radioactive material is ti be used as a power source for a deep space probe which may be treated ideally as a single Carnot engine. Radioactive decay generates heat in the block at a rate Pin = dQin/dt and heat is extracted from the block to operate the probe at a rate dQout/dt. For simplicity, assume that the engine is designed to operate in such a way that the temperature of the block remains constantat Tb. Waste heat is radiated from the outer surface of the probe at a temperature Ts.

(a) Use the laws of thermodynamics to deduce the mathematical relationship between dQin(t) dQout(t). [2]

(b) Write down suitable expressions to calculate (i) the efficiency n of the engine representing the probe and thus deduce (ii) the rate at which work can be done, dW/dt. [4]

(c) If the power generated by the power source decreases exponentially with time (t is greater than 0) according to Pin = P0exp(-t/r), then integrate the resut of part b(ii) over time to show that the total amount of work ∆W that the source will provide over its whole life is given by
∆W = P0r(1-Ts/Tb). [4]

(d) Taking into account the assumption that the probe is a carnot engine, show that the resulting entropy change of the universe will be given by
∆S = P0r/Tb. [4]Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated! I would be truly greatful!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've managed to draw out the schematic diagram of the carnot cycle/system for the first part but I can't get mathematical relationship in part (a). In part (b) I've managed to get the equation for the efficiency of the engine but am not sure about the rate at which work can be done.
And then part (c) and (d) both lead on from the answer from part (b)(ii) so without this answer I cannot complete the question and these parts are where most of the marks can be awarded.

If anyone could offer me any help or any insight then it would be massively appreciated, however small!
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
From thermodynamics for isothermal cycle where U is the internal energy, T is temperature and S is entropy,
##\Delta U = T\Delta S##
The change in the internal energy is equal to the heat added,
##Q_b = T_b \Delta S_b##,
##\Delta S_b = \frac {Q_b } {T_b}##.
The work done is the difference between the heat added by the block and the heat taken away by outer space,
##W = Q_{in} - Q_{out}##,
##dW = dQ_{in} - dQ_{out}##.
For a Carnot engine, the change in entropy of the block must equal the change in entropy of outer space.
##\frac {Q_b} {T_b} = \frac {Q_s} {T_s}##
##W = Q_b - Q_b\frac {T_s} {T_b} = Q_b(1 - \frac{T_s} {T_b})##
which gives the maximum efficiency.
You can integrate ## \Delta Q_b = P_0\int exp (\frac {-t} {r})dt ## to get the heat added for all time and since the change in entropy of the block for all time must equal the change in entropy of outer space for all time the quoted answers follow.

Cheers Fred, explained it all very well and I understand a lot better now.

Really appreciate the help!

Thanks!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, work, and temperature. It studies how these factors affect each other and how they can be used to predict and control the behavior of systems.

2. What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the Carnot cycle. It consists of two isothermal (constant temperature) and two adiabatic (no heat transfer) processes, and it is the most efficient engine possible for a given temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs.

3. How does a Carnot engine work?

A Carnot engine works by taking in heat energy from a high-temperature reservoir, converting some of it into work, and then releasing the remaining heat energy to a low-temperature reservoir. This process is repeated in a cyclical manner, resulting in a net conversion of heat into work.

4. What is the Carnot efficiency?

The Carnot efficiency is the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine operating between two given temperatures. It is equal to the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs divided by the temperature of the hot reservoir.

5. How is thermodynamics applied in real-world systems?

Thermodynamics is applied in real-world systems to understand and optimize the behavior of heat engines, power plants, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and other energy conversion processes. It is also used in fields such as material science, chemistry, and biology to study the properties and reactions of different substances under varying temperature and pressure conditions.