Thermodynamics calculation: Flashing water at 75C

In summary, a water vaporizer for a vacuum flash cooling system produces 1.4% of the liquid vaporized.
Keeskwaak
Homework Statement
need to figure this out and why
Relevant Equations
m = Q / (h_vap - h_liq)
Hello all,
For a project I really need to know some number i can't seem to produce myself.

we are flashing water @75 degrees Celsius, the water after flash-cooling is 67 degrees constant pressure is 0.27 bar (absolute) flow rate is 15000 KG/per hour.

how much water is vaporized?

Help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean in a vacuum flash cooling system like this one?

1690989787174.png

https://www.dekkervacuum.com/flash-cooling/

Yes, though its i think somewhat bigger, it features a vacuum pump and a condenser to maintain a low pressure, Basic goal is oe eliminate dissolved oxygen and air bubbles, i need to figure out how much volume is lost

Likes berkeman
What is the pressure before the flash, atmospheric?

Chestermiller said:
What is the pressure before the flash, atmospheric?
Yes its almost atmospheric

Applying the open system (control volume) version of the 1st law of thermodynamics and assuming an adiabatic flash, we have $$\Delta h=0$$
State 1: 1 kg liquid water at 75 C

State 2:
x kg saturate water vapor at 0.27 bar and 67 C
(1-x) kg saturated liquid water at 0.27 bar and 67 C

From the steam tables, what is the enthalpy of liquid water at 75 C and 67C?
What is the enthalpy of saturated water vapor at 67 C?

enthalpy for Liquid water @75C is 313.97, @67C is 280.45
the enthalpy of saturated water vapor at 67C is 2620.96

Keeskwaak said:
enthalpy for Liquid water @75C is 313.97, @67C is 280.45
the enthalpy of saturated water vapor at 67C is 2620.96
So what is the parameter x equal to ?

I'm so sorry but I don't get it

$$\Delta h=280.45(1-x)+2620.96x-313.97=0$$

Likes Keeskwaak
but how does that work and how to translate it to 15000kg/h?

Keeskwaak said:
but how does that work and how to translate it to 15000kg/h?
This tells you the fraction of water that is lost to vapor.

Likes scottdave
Chestermiller said:
This tells you the fraction of water that is lost to vapor.
As much as i appreciate your help and answers, I still can't make the equation

Keeskwaak said:
As much as i appreciate your help and answers, I still can't make the equation
x=0.014, so 1.4% of the liquid vaporizes.

Chestermiller said:
x=0.014, so 1.4% of the liquid vaporizes.
I still cant make the equation but I see what you are doing, you make a energy balance.
Next question to make it more interesting: what if the water was milk? I don't know the Enthalpy numers for milk. but I do know the water in milk is 87%, and because the condensate is clear (mostly) is it safe to asume the water vapor will also be 87% of 1.4%?
The water inlet is 87% of 15000kg? or am i making a to short cut?

Keeskwaak said:
I still cant make the equation but I see what you are doing, you make a energy balance.
Next question to make it more interesting: what if the water was milk? I don't know the Enthalpy numers for milk. but I do know the water in milk is 87%, and because the condensate is clear (mostly) is it safe to asume the water vapor will also be 87% of 1.4%?
The water inlet is 87% of 15000kg? or am i making a to short cut?
To be conservative, I would just use the 1.4%.

Chestermiller said:
To be conservative, I would just use the 1.4%.
yes to be on the safe side, but that is no science

Keeskwaak said:
yes to be on the safe side, but that is no science
Then go out and spend some money to do some VLE experiments on milk to get a 13% more accurate answer. Have you considered the effect off Jupiter's gravity on the system since "science" tells us that that might have some (tiny) effect too.

Likes Bystander
Chestermiller said:
Then go out and spend some money to do some VLE experiments on milk to get a 13% more accurate answer. Have you considered the effect off Jupiter's gravity on the system since "science" tells us that that might have some (tiny) effect too.
Hi,
No pun and no disrespect intended, as I mentioned before: "Next question to make it more interesting", its just that.
i was not asking for a accurate answer, maybe just how someone else looks at this.

1. What is the purpose of calculating thermodynamics for flashing water at 75C?

The purpose of calculating thermodynamics for flashing water at 75C is to determine the physical properties of the water, such as its temperature, pressure, and enthalpy, during the process of flashing, which is the rapid vaporization of a liquid when it is exposed to a lower pressure environment.

2. How is the thermodynamic calculation for flashing water at 75C performed?

The calculation involves using the principles of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws, to analyze the energy and heat transfer involved in the flashing process. This can be done using equations and tables of thermodynamic properties, such as the steam tables.

3. What factors affect the thermodynamics of flashing water at 75C?

The main factors that affect the thermodynamics of flashing water at 75C are the initial temperature and pressure of the water, the pressure of the environment it is exposed to, and the heat transfer rate. Other factors that may play a role include the composition of the water and any impurities present.

4. How can the results of the thermodynamic calculation for flashing water at 75C be used?

The results of the calculation can be used to determine the efficiency of a flashing process, as well as to design and optimize systems that involve flashing, such as steam turbines and refrigeration systems. It can also provide valuable information for safety and control measures.

5. Are there any limitations to the thermodynamic calculation for flashing water at 75C?

Like any scientific calculation, there are limitations to the accuracy and applicability of the results. These may include assumptions made in the calculation, variations in the properties of the water, and external factors that may affect the process. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using the results for practical applications.