Thermodynamics (Enrico Fermi): Thermodynamic vs. Dynamical State

In summary, Enrico Fermi explains that to fully understand the state of a gas, one must specify the exact motion of each molecule, rather than just the volume, temperature, and number of molecules. This is known as the dynamical state, which is different from the thermodynamic state that only considers bulk properties. He also mentions that there are an infinite number of possible dynamical states for a given thermodynamic state. This can be confusing, but the main idea is that thermodynamics simplifies a complex system by taking into account all possible configurations through the concept of ensemble.
juni
I'm reading Enrico Fermi's "Thermodynamics" book. In page 3 of his book, he says:

It is evident from what we have said that the knowledge of the thermodynamical state alone is by no means sufficient for the determination of the dynamical state.

What does he mean by dynamical state? What's the difference between the thermodynamic state and the dynamical state?

He then adds:

Studying the thermodynamical state of a homogenous fluid of given volume at a given temperature (the pressure is then defined by the equation of state), we observe that there is an infinite number of states of molecular motion that correspond to it. With increasing time, the system exists succesively in all these dynamical states that correspond to the given thermodynamical state. From this point of view, we may say that a thermodynamical state is the ensemble of all the dynamical states through which, as a result of the molecular motion, the system is rapidly passing.

Is he trying to say that there an infinite number of energy states given V, P and T?

This paragraph just threw me off. Can someone explain the point he is trying to make in simpler words?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To specify the exact state a gas is in, you have to specify what each molecule is doing. If you just specify the volume, temperature and number of molecules, then that alone does not specify the exact state the gas is in.

I believe that "dynamical" implies specification of every single individual degree of freedom (e.g. the motion of molecules), whereas "thermodynamic" implies bulk properties (and is commonly restricted to equilibrium or quasiequilibrium condition, i.e. no heat flow, or at least the state changing along a well-defined curve).

It is probably confusing to say that there are an infinite number of energy states (which, to me, at least, sounds like it implies an infinite number of different energy values). Rather, I would say that there are a very large (practically infinite) number of states that are possible for a given energy.

IMO, the main point is that thermodynamics treats a very complicated physical system in comparitively extremely simple terms, but as a consequence you lose almost all of the physical information about the system.

Many thanks for your input. I get it know. I think I failed to recognize the word "ensemble", which in this case implies some type of averaging, and this of course is what thermodynamic states are all about.

Actually, ensemble does not imply averaging, it implies the opposite. You can think of a thermo state as a state that doesn't even necessarily exist, but it is the appropriately weighted average of all possible configurations. The set of all possible configurations is the ensemble. So, the ensemble is the description that takes into account all of the ignorance while at the same time keeping all of the information.

Related to Thermodynamics (Enrico Fermi): Thermodynamic vs. Dynamical State

1. What is the difference between thermodynamic and dynamical state?

Thermodynamic state refers to the macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume, which can be described by thermodynamic equations. Dynamical state, on the other hand, refers to the microscopic motion and interactions of particles within the system, which can be described by dynamical equations.

2. How are thermodynamic and dynamical state related?

The thermodynamic state of a system is a result of the underlying dynamical state. In other words, the macroscopic properties of a system are determined by the microscopic motion and interactions of its particles.

3. Can a system be in a different thermodynamic and dynamical state at the same time?

No, a system can only be in one thermodynamic state at a given time. However, the dynamical state of a system is constantly changing as particles move and interact with each other, leading to changes in the thermodynamic state.

4. How do thermodynamic and dynamical state affect the behavior of a system?

The thermodynamic state of a system determines its overall behavior, such as whether it will undergo a phase transition or produce work. The dynamical state, on the other hand, affects the speed and efficiency of these processes.

5. Are there any limitations to using thermodynamic and dynamical state to describe a system?

While thermodynamic and dynamical state provide a useful framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of a system, they do have limitations. For example, they are based on classical physics and do not fully account for quantum effects. Additionally, they may not be applicable to systems that are far from equilibrium or have complex interactions between particles.