Thermodynamics (Entropy Generation and Heat Engine)

In summary, thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the movement of heat and its conversion into other forms of energy. Entropy generation, a measure of disorder or randomness in a system, is a key concept in thermodynamics. A heat engine is a device that converts thermal energy into mechanical work, and the second law of thermodynamics states that entropy will always increase in a closed system. Some real-life examples of entropy generation include melting ice cubes, burning fuel in a car engine, and mixing hot and cold water in a bathtub.
albertov123

Homework Statement

A hot gas stream at 600K and 200 kPa is cooled at constant pressure to 300K in a pipe by direct thermal contact with the atmosphere. The mass flow rate of the stream is 0,1 kg/s and the atmospheric temperature and pressure are 300K and 100 kPa. Modeling the gas as an ideal gas with constant specific heat determine;
a)heat transfer rate to the atmosphere
b)entropy generation rate associated with the cooling process
c)if the hot gas stream is used to produce mechanical power by operating a heat engine between the stream and the atmosphere determine the maximum shaft power produced
d)demonstrate that the mechanical power produced in part c is proportional to the rate of entropy generation in part b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we don't know what the gas is, i write down c representing Cp (constant pressure problem)
dT = T2 - T1 (change in temp)
dS = S2- S1 (change in entropy)

a) Q=mcdt = 0,1c.(600K-300K) = 30c (heat transfer rate to the atmosphere)

b) dS = Sgen + (Q/T) so Sgen = dS - (Q/T)
dS = mcln(T2/T1) = 0,1cln(600/300) = 0.07c
Sgen = 0.07c - (-30c/300K) = 0.17c (entropy generation)

What did i miss? I am confused because i didn't make use of pressure throughout my calculations.

c) max efficiency n = 1 - (Tcold/Thot) = 1 - (300/600) = 0.5
Q.n=Work
30c.0,5=15c (maximum shaft work)

d) i couldn't come up with something on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Albertov123 said:

Homework Statement

A hot gas stream at 600K and 200 kPa is cooled at constant pressure to 300K in a pipe by direct thermal contact with the atmosphere. The mass flow rate of the stream is 0,1 kg/s and the atmospheric temperature and pressure are 300K and 100 kPa. Modeling the gas as an ideal gas with constant specific heat determine;
a)heat transfer rate to the atmosphere
b)entropy generation rate associated with the cooling process
c)if the hot gas stream is used to produce mechanical power by operating a heat engine between the stream and the atmosphere determine the maximum shaft power produced
d)demonstrate that the mechanical power produced in part c is proportional to the rate of entropy generation in part b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we don't know what the gas is, i write down c representing Cp (constant pressure problem)
dT = T2 - T1 (change in temp)
dS = S2- S1 (change in entropy)

a) Q=mcdt = 0,1c.(600K-300K) = 30c (heat transfer rate to the atmosphere)

b) dS = Sgen + (Q/T) so Sgen = dS - (Q/T)
dS = mcln(T2/T1) = 0,1cln(600/300) = 0.07c
Sgen = 0.07c - (-30c/300K) = 0.17c (entropy generation)

What did i miss? I am confused because i didn't make use of pressure throughout my calculations.
You didn't miss anything. But you got the temperatures switched in your calculation of ΔS for the gas. It should be -0.07c.
c) max efficiency n = 1 - (Tcold/Thot) = 1 - (300/600) = 0.5
Q.n=Work
30c.0,5=15c (maximum shaft work)
It seems to me that this part is not correct because the gas temperature is not 600K throughout the pipe. This needs to be taken into account.

Likes albertov123
Thank you for the help.

As the pipe temperature not being uniform, I've accepted gas stream inlet as a thermal reservoir and calculated from that. But, yes this might not be true.

Albertov123 said:
Thank you for the help.

As the pipe temperature not being uniform, I've accepted gas stream inlet as a thermal reservoir and calculated from that. But, yes this might not be true.
You need to do an integration over the increments of heat leaving the pipe while applying the efficiency equation to each increment. When you do that, you will find that the maximum work is just the cold reservoir temperature (300 K) times Sgen.

Chet

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the movement of heat and its conversion into other forms of energy.

What is entropy generation?

Entropy generation is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the tendency of energy to spread out and become less useful.

What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts thermal energy into mechanical work. It works by taking in heat from a high temperature source, performing work, and then releasing the remaining heat to a low temperature sink.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system (one that does not exchange matter or energy with its surroundings) will always increase over time. This law is also known as the law of entropy.

What are some real-life examples of entropy generation?

Some examples of entropy generation in everyday life include the melting of ice cubes, the burning of fuel in a car engine, and the mixing of hot and cold water in a bathtub. In all of these cases, energy is being converted into a less organized form (heat), resulting in an increase in entropy.