Thermodynamics -- total entropy generation during cooling of tank of water....

In summary, the problem involves a 0.2 m^3 steel container filled with liquid water at 50°C, which is then cooled to the surrounding air temperature of 25°C. The goal is to determine the total entropy generation during this process. The solution involves considering the system (steel container, water, and air) as an isolated system, and using the equation ΔSsystem = ΔSliquid water + ΔSsteel + ΔSair surrounding. Using the mass of water and its density at different temperatures, ΔSliquid water is calculated. ΔSsteel is calculated using the specific heat and temperature change of the steel container. The heat transferred to the air is calculated and used to find ΔSair. Finally, the
jittapon

Homework Statement

A 0.2 m^3 steel container that has a mass of 30 kg is filled with liquid
water. Initially both the steel tank and the water are at 50°C. Now heat is transferred, and the entire system (i.e., steel and water) cools to the surrounding air temperature of 25°C. Determine the total entropy generation during this process.
http://postimg.org/image/43k9ywc6v/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that take the steel container and liquid water and air(at 25 °C) as an isolated system so from the equation Sin-Sout(Net entropy transfer by heat or mass out the isolated boundary)+Sgen=ΔSsystem so no net entropy changes across isolated system boundaries so Sgen=ΔSsystem and ΔSsystem=ΔSliquid water+ΔSsteel+ΔSair surrounding
then find the mass of water by find the average density of water at 25°C and 50°C I got Density=992.5 kg/m^3 and also mass of water=992.5*0.2=198.5 kg
ΔSliquid water=(198.5 kg)(S@25 °C - S@50 °C)=198.5*(0.3672-0.7038)=-66.8151 kJ/k
and ΔSsteel(incompressible substances)=m*C*ln(T2/T1)=30*0.5*ln((25+273)/(50+273))=-1.2084 kJ/k
and total heat transfer to an air surroundings is Qair=-Qliquid water-Qsteel
find Qliquid=m*c*(T2-T1)=198.5*4.18*(25-50)=-20743.25 kJ
Qsteel=m*c*(T2-T1)=30*0.5*(25-50)=-375 kJ
Qair=-(-375-20743.25)=21118.25 kJ
from ΔSair=Qair/T=21118.25/(25+273)=70.867 kJ/k
then from ΔSliquid water and ΔSsteel and ΔSair I can find Sgen=ΔSsystem=ΔSliquid water+ΔSsteel+ΔSair surrounding =-66.8151 kJ/k-1.2084 kJ/k+70.867 kJ/k=2.8435 kJ/k
Is my solution correct or not? please help me for my thermodynamics homework
thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your arithmetic, but your methodology is correct.

Chet

Related to Thermodynamics -- total entropy generation during cooling of tank of water....

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to cooling a tank of water?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. In the context of cooling a tank of water, it is used to understand the transfer of heat and energy between the water and its surroundings.

2. How is total entropy generation calculated during the cooling process?

The total entropy generation during cooling of a tank of water is calculated by summing the entropy changes of the water and its surroundings. This involves considering the heat transfer, temperature changes, and any irreversible processes that may occur.

3. What factors affect the total entropy generation during cooling of a tank of water?

The factors that affect total entropy generation during cooling include the temperature difference between the water and its surroundings, the rate of heat transfer, and the efficiency of the cooling process. Any irreversible processes, such as friction or turbulence, also contribute to entropy generation.

4. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics apply to the cooling of a tank of water?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. In the case of cooling a tank of water, this means that the total entropy generation will always be greater than zero, as some energy is lost to the surroundings in the form of heat.

5. Can the total entropy generation during cooling of a tank of water be reduced?

The total entropy generation during cooling cannot be reduced to zero, as it is a natural result of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. However, certain measures can be taken to minimize the amount of entropy generated, such as using more efficient cooling methods or reducing the temperature difference between the water and its surroundings.