Thermodynamics/Fluids Homework Problem

In summary, the problem statement is asking for the percentage pressure change between two points on an airplane wing, where the free-stream velocity is 100 mi/h and the maximum velocity is 150 mi/h. The first approach using Bernoulli's equation gives a negative percentage change, indicating that the pressure at the second point should be lower than the first. The second approach, using the formula (P2-P1)/P1 * 100, results in a negative percentage change of -1.48%, which aligns with the first approach. However, further verification from someone with knowledge in fluid mechanics is recommended.
rcummings89
Hello, the problem statement reads thus:

"Consider a low-speed flow of air over an airplane wing at standard sea level conditions; the free-stream velocity far ahead of the wind [point 1] is 100 mi/h [44.7m/s]. The flow accelerates over the wing reaching a maximum velocity of 150 mi/h [67.1 m/s] at some point on the wing [point 2]. What is the percentage pressure change between this point and the free stream?" (I inserted the brackets)

I have never come across the term (to the best of my knowledge) "percentage pressure change" in fluids or thermo so I'm a little unsure if I am doing this right.

My first instinct was to use Bernoulli's Eqn., neglecting height differences:

P1 + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ρairv12 = P2 + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ρairv22 Where P1 = 0 gage. Then P2 = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ρair(v12 - v22) = -1.508 kPa

But it mentions the percentage change, so my next idea was to find the pressure at points 1 & 2 using just [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ρairvn2 and obtains P1 = 1.203 kPa, and P2 = 2.707 kPa;

Then I interpreted the percentage change as

(P2-P1)/P1 * 100 = 125%.

Am I in the right direction or completely lost?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You found that P2 is higher than P1, and this is a bad sign. If you increase the velocity, pressure should lower.
In your problem you can consider P1 to be atmospheric since its at sea level. Then you plug in the values for v1 and v2 and density, and find P2.

Then you plug in p1 and p2 you've found on the percentage formula you wrote and it should work.
I got -1,48%. Makes sense that its negative, because the pressure at P2 should be lower than P1.

I'm new to fluid mechanics. Maybe someone can verify that its correct.

Related to Thermodynamics/Fluids Homework Problem

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It also involves the study of the behavior of matter and its transformations from one form to another.

2. How do you solve a thermodynamics/fluids homework problem?

To solve a thermodynamics/fluids homework problem, you must first identify the given parameters and variables, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. Then, you can apply the laws of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to determine the unknown values by using equations and solving for the desired variable.

3. What are some common applications of thermodynamics and fluids?

Thermodynamics and fluids have various real-world applications, including the design of engines, refrigeration systems, heating and cooling systems, and power generation. They are also used in the study of atmospheric phenomena, such as weather patterns and climate change.

4. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and matter. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another; the second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system cannot decrease over time; and the third law, which states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

5. How does the study of fluids relate to thermodynamics?

Fluid mechanics is a subset of thermodynamics that deals with the behavior of fluids, including liquids and gases, under different conditions. The concepts and equations used in thermodynamics, such as the ideal gas law and the laws of thermodynamics, are also applicable in the study of fluids.