Thermodynamics Particles in Water

In summary: N using the given equation N = N0 e^(E/kT).In summary, the problem involves finding the number of fine metal particles in a column of water at a certain height, and then determining the number of particles at a height 1.0 mm higher. To solve this, the equation N = N0 e^(E/kT) is used, where E is the potential energy of the particles and T is the temperature. The internal energy of the water can be neglected as it is equal at both heights. Using the given information, the number of particles at the higher height can be calculated.
dcrisci

Homework Statement

A column of water contains fine metal particles of radius 20 nm, which are in thermal equilibrium at 25°C. If there are 1000 such particles per unit volume at a given height h0 in the water column, how many particles would be found in the same volume 1.0 mm higher than h0? The density of the used metal is ρ = 20.0 g/cm3.

Homework Equations

## U = \frac{3}{2} nRT ##
## N = N_0 e^{\frac{E}{kT}} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of where to begin here, I just provided equations I though were necessary but am not exactly sure if they are the right ones. Any help to begin these problems would be awesome!

I was thinking of finding the internal energy of the water, and the difference in the gravitational potential energy of the particles 1mm higher, and then the total energy would be the sum of these two, which would be the value for E, then T = 298K N0 is 1000?

Physics news on Phys.org
dcrisci said:
I was thinking of finding the internal energy of the water, and the difference in the gravitational potential energy of the particles 1mm higher, and then the total energy would be the sum of these two, which would be the value for E, then T = 298K N0 is 1000?

Just realized that the internal energy would be equal at both volumes of water (height h0 and 1mm higher) so I could neglect this and only use the potential energy of the particles ie. E = mgh

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy.

2. How do particles behave in water according to thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, particles in water follow the principles of statistical mechanics, which states that the behavior of a large number of particles can be described by statistical methods and laws.

3. What is the role of entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is a key concept that helps us understand the direction of energy flow and the efficiency of energy conversion.

4. How does thermodynamics explain the properties of water?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in understanding the unique properties of water, such as its high specific heat capacity, density changes with temperature, and ability to exist in all three states of matter at Earth's surface temperatures.

5. Can thermodynamics be applied to other systems besides water?

Yes, the principles of thermodynamics can be applied to all systems, both living and non-living. It is a fundamental concept in many fields, including chemistry, biology, and engineering.