Thermodynamics problem: Piston in cylinder

In summary: However, this would be more complicated and would not be as straightforward.Apparently they expect you to assume that the cylinder and piston are not insulated.
Adrian379

Homework Statement

[/B]
A horizontal cylinder with length L=1m and section S=2*10^(-3) is divided in two parts by a piston. In theese compartments is air at pressure p0=10^5N/m^2 and same temperature.
The piston move with h=0,4m from initial position. Which is force to hold piston in this position ?

Homework Equations

[/B]
My Tries: just this figure and same irrelevant ecuations like PV=nRT and i think P0V0=P1V1, but i don't know why. Thank you very much, i am at beginning with thermodynamics.

bUybp1r.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give some hints. The first step is going to be finding the new pressures on both sides in the piston after you move the piston. For that, you'll be using P0V0=P1V1.

After you know the pressure on both sides, you need to find the net force on the dividing wall between the two sides. If you know the pressure, and you know the area, how do you find the force exerted by either side? Look at the units for pressure and area.

Yeah but can you explain me why p0v0=p1v1 ? Thanky you for response.

I'm not an expert here so you might want to double check this, but in my understanding it is a consequence of the law of conservation of energy.

Pressure times volume is a form of energy. So if you change the volume, you must also change the pressure. Energy can be neither created nor destroyed. However, this is only valid if you don't add energy from an outside source.

Adrian379 said:
Yeah but can you explain me why p0v0=p1v1 ? Thanky you for response.
It follows from the ideal gas law, assuming that the temperature and number of moles don't change.$$nRT_0=P_0V_0=P_1V_1$$

Chestermiller said:
It follows from the ideal gas law, assuming that the temperature and number of moles don't change.$$nRT_0=P_0V_0=P_1V_1$$
Yes but, if the piston move, the temperature from compartments don't change ?

I've found P1 & P2:
P1= P0L/L-2h

P2=P0L/L+2h

Now, i must to found the force.

F=P*S but what P i must multiply to S to found force ?

I solve it ! F=(p2-p1)*S = 888N
Thank you very much !

Last edited:
Adrian379 said:
Yes but, if the piston move, the temperature from compartments don't change ?
Apparently they expect you to assume that the cylinder and piston are not insulated. So, when the system equilibrates, the temperature will be unchanged.

Am I right in thinking that without the assumption that the process is Isothermal, there is no way to find the pressure or temperature? It's been a while since I solved this sort of thing.

John Morrell said:
Am I right in thinking that without the assumption that the process is Isothermal, there is no way to find the pressure or temperature? It's been a while since I solved this sort of thing.
It could also be done if the two chambers and the piston were adiabatic, and the piston were moved very slowly.

What is a "Piston in Cylinder" thermodynamics problem?

A "Piston in Cylinder" thermodynamics problem is a common scenario used in thermodynamics to understand the behavior of gases. It involves a piston inside a cylinder containing a gas, where the piston can move freely and the gas can expand or contract.

What are the main concepts involved in solving a "Piston in Cylinder" problem?

The main concepts involved in solving a "Piston in Cylinder" problem are the ideal gas law, the first and second laws of thermodynamics, and the concept of work and heat transfer.

How do you determine the final state of the gas in a "Piston in Cylinder" problem?

The final state of the gas can be determined by applying the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. By knowing the initial state and the work and heat transfer, the final state can be calculated.

What are some common assumptions made in solving a "Piston in Cylinder" problem?

Some common assumptions made in solving a "Piston in Cylinder" problem include assuming the gas is an ideal gas, neglecting any friction or heat loss to the environment, and assuming the process is reversible.

How does the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas change in a "Piston in Cylinder" problem?

In a "Piston in Cylinder" problem, the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas can change depending on the work and heat transfer involved. If work is done on the gas, the volume decreases and the pressure and temperature increase. If work is done by the gas, the volume increases and the pressure and temperature decrease. Heat transfer can also affect the temperature and pressure of the gas.