Thermodynamics Question. Determine Quality of Two Phase Ammonia.

In summary, the conversation involved attaching a homework paper with incorrect answers and a quality of 1.00 for both parts. The speaker noticed that the quality increased in the 0.0 degree Fahrenheit sample, which was unexpected. They also mentioned obtaining specific volume values from a textbook appendix on properties of saturated ammonia. However, when attempting to attach the document, an error message was received. The speaker then mentioned using 2010 and asked for help with correcting their formulas and units for ammonia properties.
kdhutchi
I have attached a copy of my homework paper to this post. I'm fairly certain the answers are not correct. The quality for both parts is 1.00. In addition, the quality increases (to the fourth decimal place) in the 0.0 degree Fahrenheit sample. I'd expect the quality to go down due to less heat energy leading to less vapor. The specific volume values were obtained from my textbook's appendices titled: Properties of Saturated Ammonia (Liquid Vapor).

Also, I tried attaching just the document, but received the "invalid File" remark. I was hoping to just attach the doc to ease replies. Editing the document would be easier than a full fledged post! I'm using 2010 if that helps.

Attachments

• 3.19 Help.png
    3.19 Help.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is correct but your ammonia properties and units are incorrect.

Units should be volume / mass, like the total specific volume they provided.

Also, as a check: vg / vf is about equal to 50 for ammonia in this range. Your values are much higher.

Check again your ammonia property tables.

Related to Thermodynamics Question. Determine Quality of Two Phase Ammonia.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of heat and its relationship with other forms of energy, as well as the behavior of matter under different conditions.

2. How is the quality of two phase ammonia determined?

The quality of two phase ammonia is determined by the ratio of the mass of the vapor phase to the total mass of the mixture, also known as the vapor quality. This can be calculated using thermodynamic equations such as the quality equation or the steam tables.

3. What are the two phases of ammonia in this context?

In this context, the two phases of ammonia are the liquid and vapor phases. Ammonia exists as a gas at room temperature and pressure, but can be condensed into a liquid at lower temperatures and higher pressures.

4. How does thermodynamics apply to ammonia?

Thermodynamics applies to ammonia in the same way it applies to any other substance. The laws and principles of thermodynamics can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of ammonia under different conditions, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or volume.

5. Why is determining the quality of two phase ammonia important?

Determining the quality of two phase ammonia is important in various industrial and engineering processes, such as refrigeration and power generation. It allows for the precise control and optimization of these processes, leading to improved efficiency and cost-effectiveness.