Thermodynamics Question (entropy and heat capacities)

But the problem doesn't say it's a diatomic gas, does it? If this is a quantum monatomic gas, then the expression for heat capacity can be derived from the Schrodinger equation (I think...), and the dependence on temperature is not an issue because only translational degrees of freedom are important at low temperature, and these are not affected by temperature.In summary, the two problems involve calculating the change in entropy, Helmholtz Free Energy, and Gibbs Free Energy when 1 mole of an ideal gas is compressed from 1 atm to 20 atm at 20°C. The second problem also requires finding an expression for the change in entropy as the ideal gas goes from V1, T1 to V2,
Jake4

Homework Statement

Two somewhat related problems:

1. Using the expression for change in entropy of an ideal gas per mole:

ΔS=CV+R ln(V)

Calculate the change in entropy, change in Helmholtz Free Energy and change in Gibbs Free Energy when 1 mole of an ideal gas is compressed from 1 atm to 20 atm at 20°Cand

2. An ideal gas has a molar specific heat given by CV=A+BT where A and B are constants.
Using a thermodynamic identity find an expression for the change in entropy as it goes from V1, T1 to V2 , T2.

Homework Equations

dS= CVdT/T

The Attempt at a Solution

My main issues with these problems (I may be totally missing something) is that CV is given in both, yet they imply a change in Volume. By definition, CV is the heat capacity at constant Volume. Is this something I should simply overlook to carry out the calculations?

Thank you so much for the help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second problem, if I just go through the calculations I can integrate and find an expression for S, without even including V. Is that permissible even if in the problem it talks about going from V1 to V2 ?

Jake4 said:
1. Using the expression for change in entropy of an ideal gas per mole:

ΔS=CV+R ln(V)

The expression for ΔS here can't be right: it should be a function of initial and final temperature, and initial and final volume (for fixed particle number). You can derive said function for the ideal gas by considering S=S(T,V), taking the differential of this, applying a Maxwell relation, and integrating. The result is on the Wikipedia 'Ideal gas' page. Fair enough, in the question the temperature stays fixed, but ΔS should still be a function of the initial and final volume of the gas.

For the second part, the general formula involving the initial and final temperatures could come in handy. Are you sure this gas is ideal, having a heat capacity that depends on temperature?

As a more general point, there's no reason why the heat capacity at constant volume can't appear in the solution to problems involving gases that change volume, as these questions illustrate.

psmt said:
The expression for ΔS here can't be right: it should be a function of initial and final temperature, and initial and final volume (for fixed particle number). You can derive said function for the ideal gas by considering S=S(T,V), taking the differential of this, applying a Maxwell relation, and integrating. The result is on the Wikipedia 'Ideal gas' page. Fair enough, in the question the temperature stays fixed, but ΔS should still be a function of the initial and final volume of the gas.
Where does it say that this is an isothermal process?

If it is isothermal (dT =0), dQr = PdV, so:

[tex]\Delta S = \int dS = \int dQ_r/T = \int (PdV)/T = \int RdV/V = R\ln(V_f/V_i)[/tex]

For the second part, the general formula involving the initial and final temperatures could come in handy. Are you sure this gas is ideal, having a heat capacity that depends on temperature?
Heat capacities of non-monatomic ideal gases will change with temperature due to the fact that vibrational and rotational modes are not available at lower temperatures.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Where does it say that this is an isothermal process?

If it is isothermal (dT =0), dQr = PdV, so:

[tex]\Delta S = \int dS = \int dQ_r/T = \int (PdV)/T = \int RdV/V = R\ln(V_f/V_i)[/tex]

Heat capacities of non-monatomic ideal gases will change with temperature due to the fact that vibrational and rotational modes are not available at lower temperatures.

AM

The first part says "at 20 degrees C" - I'm taking that to mean the whole process takes place at that temp?

As for the variation of heat capacity with temperature, I'm guessing you're referring to the freezing out of certain modes and the transition to quantum behaviour? I forgot to say classical ideal gas, so good point.

Or, i can believe that if anharmonicity of bonds is taken into account for vibrational modes, then the heat capacity of the gas will vary with T even if the molecules are non-interacting, which i agree makes a classical ideal gas with a T-dependent heat capacity. Is this what you had in mind? (Damn these technicalities!)

psmt said:
Or, i can believe that if anharmonicity of bonds is taken into account for vibrational modes, then the heat capacity of the gas will vary with T even if the molecules are non-interacting, which i agree makes a classical ideal gas with a T-dependent heat capacity. Is this what you had in mind? (Damn these technicalities!)
I am not sure what you mean by "anharmonicity of bonds".

There is no such thing as an ideal diatomic gas that obeys only classical laws of physics. Temperature dependence of heat capacity of a diatomic ideal gas (ie. the gas obeys the ideal gas law: PV = nRT with molecules consisting of two covalently bonded atoms) requires quantum mechanics to explain.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I am not sure what you mean by "anharmonicity of bonds".

I'm talking about the equipartition theorem: that each quadratic degree of freedom in the classical Hamiltonian contributes k/2 to the heat capacity, which is independent of temperature. By harmonic bond i mean a model in which the effective potential between two atoms in each gas molecule is truncated at quadratic order about the minimum, giving a constant contribution to the heat capacity. By anharmonic i mean including higher terms in the model, which presumably would lead to a T-dependent heat capacity within a purely classical context. Not that this is necessarily relevant or important, especially now we're clear that we're talking about QM.

Andrew Mason said:
There is no such thing as an ideal diatomic gas that obeys only classical laws of physics. Temperature dependence of heat capacity of a diatomic ideal gas (ie. the gas obeys the ideal gas law: PV = nRT with molecules consisting of two covalently bonded atoms) requires quantum mechanics to explain.

I agree. Of course, the internal structure of atoms of a monatomic gas will technically make a tiny contribution to the heat capacity too, if we're talking about real quasi-ideal gases... not sure if that would ever be measurable though.

Last edited:

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamics, it is a measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system. It is related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time.

2. How does the concept of entropy apply to heat transfer?

In heat transfer, entropy is related to the direction of energy flow. Heat will naturally flow from a higher temperature to a lower temperature, increasing the entropy of the system. This is because the particles in the higher temperature region have more energy and are less organized, while the particles in the lower temperature region have less energy and are more organized.

3. What is the difference between specific heat and heat capacity?

Specific heat is a measure of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one unit of mass of a material by one degree. Heat capacity, on the other hand, is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of an entire object by one degree. It is dependent on the mass and specific heat of the material.

4. How does the heat capacity of a material affect its ability to store and transfer heat?

The heat capacity of a material determines how much heat energy it can store and how quickly it can transfer that energy. Materials with a higher heat capacity can store more heat energy and therefore take longer to heat up or cool down compared to materials with a lower heat capacity.

5. How do changes in temperature and pressure affect the entropy of a system?

Generally, an increase in temperature or pressure will increase the entropy of a system. This is because an increase in temperature or pressure will lead to a greater amount of energy being unavailable for work in the system. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, such as when a substance undergoes a phase change at a specific temperature and pressure, where the entropy of the system may decrease.