Thermodynamics Question, entropy Problem

In summary, using the Maxwell relation and the ideal gas equation, it is possible to derive the entropy of a vessel containing an ideal monatomic gas as $S= R \left(\frac{3}{2}lnT+lnV+const\right)$. This formula can be derived by manipulating the equation $dS=\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_V dV + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V dT$ and using the ideal gas equation $pV=nRT$.
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

Considering entropy as a function of temperature and volume and using the Maxwell relation;
$$ \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T = \left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_V$$
Show that the entropy of a vessel is given by;
$$ S= R \left(\frac{3}{2}lnT+lnV+const\right) $$
Where R is the gas constant.

Homework Equations

Given in the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I made and attempt because S(T,V) you can write it as;
$$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T dV +\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V dT$$
Then substituted the maxwell relation;
$$dS=\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_V dV + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V dT$$
But from there I'm not sure where to go, i tried a few different things like dividing by dV but I'm drawing a blank, a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you are not giving us all the information needed to solve the problem. How exactly was the problem worded in your homework/textbook? I also find it confusing that in the formula for entropy there are logarithms of dimensional quantities. Usually we only calculate logarithms (or exponentials) of dimensionless numbers.

This is the Question part (d), I managed to find a solution but I didnt use the maxwel relation above, I also found it fairly strange but It must be possible it was on a list of practice examples I found.
cGt9WH4.png

"ideal monatomic gas" is a crucial part of the question. what equations are there for ideal gas, that might be useful?

edit: p.s. sorry for barging in.

Likes 1 person
The problem is related to the so-called Sackur-Tetrode equation, which gives the entropy of an ideal monoatomic gas as a function of internal energy, volume, and number of atoms. See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/therm/entropgas.html . You just have to find out how to derive that from the Maxwell equation. Googling with cleverly chosen keywords might help.

Likes 1 person
Like I said I did manage to find a Solution using $$ dQ=dU+pdV$$, $$pV=nRT$$ and $$dU=\frac{3}{2}nRdT$$ but Doing that I didn't use the Maxwell relation as the question states, and I'm not sure how to use it to find the solution.

Oh I will, Thank you, sorry i posted that reply before seeing your second hilbert.

Thanks a lot guys I figured it out now wiht your help, I was just going blank.

Related to Thermodynamics Question, entropy Problem

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relation to other forms of energy, such as work and temperature. It also includes the study of how energy is transferred and transformed within a system.

2. What is entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a thermodynamic property that describes the degree of disorder or randomness in a system. It is often referred to as the measure of the system's unavailable energy or the amount of energy that is not able to do work.

3. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that the amount of energy that is not able to do work will also increase, leading to a decrease in the amount of usable energy in the system.

4. How is entropy calculated?

The change in entropy of a system is calculated by taking the ratio of the heat absorbed or released by the system to its absolute temperature. Mathematically, it is represented as ΔS = ΔQ/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, ΔQ is the heat absorbed or released, and T is the absolute temperature.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics and entropy?

Thermodynamics and entropy have many practical applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigerators, and power plants. They are also important in understanding weather patterns, chemical reactions, and biological processes. Entropy is also used in information theory to measure the amount of disorder in a system.