Thermofluids, Viscous Flow Problem

In summary, Thermofluids is a branch of physics and engineering that deals with the study of heat transfer and fluid mechanics. Viscous flow problems, on the other hand, focus on the behavior and movement of fluids with a certain degree of viscosity. These types of problems are often encountered in various industries, such as aerospace and automotive, and require complex mathematical models to solve. Understanding thermofluids and viscous flow is crucial in designing efficient systems and predicting fluid behavior in different scenarios.
Bob Harrison

Homework Statement

Q.2 One type of bearing that can be used to support very large structures is shown below. Here fluid under pressure is forced from the bearing midpoint (A) to the exterior zone B. thus a pressure distribution occurs as shown. For this bearing which is 30cm wide, what discharge of oil from slot A per meter of length of bearing is required? Assume a 50kN load per meter of bearing length with a clearance space t between the floor and the bearing surface of 0.6mm. Assume an oil viscosity of 0.2 NS/m2. Hour much oil per hour would have to be pumped per meter of bearing length for the given conditions?

b67ce1f520af9259865680fd46451583.png

Can anyone help me here? I am completely stumped at where to begin, only just begun our lectures on viscous fluid flow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have they covered pressure driven flow between parallel plates in your course yet? If so, what is the relationship between the pressure gradient and the average velocity?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Have they covered pressure driven flow between parallel plates in your course yet? If so, what is the relationship between the pressure gradient and the average velocity?

Chet
Not really, our lecturer said that he didn't expect us to be able to solve some of these questions completely. But I'd like to get a head start so if you're able to help explain me how to obtain a solution that'd be much appreciated :).

Bob Harrison said:
Not really, our lecturer said that he didn't expect us to be able to solve some of these questions completely. But I'd like to get a head start so if you're able to help explain me how to obtain a solution that'd be much appreciated :).
See if you can follow this development: http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336L/Fluidhtml/node108.html

Chet

Likes Bob Harrison

1. What is thermofluids?

Thermofluids is the study of the behavior of fluids in relation to temperature and heat transfer. This includes the study of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer.

2. What is a viscous flow problem?

A viscous flow problem is a type of fluid flow that is characterized by high levels of internal friction and resistance to deformation. This often occurs when fluids move through narrow channels or when there is a large difference in velocity between different parts of the fluid.

3. What are some common applications of thermofluids and viscous flow?

Thermofluids and viscous flow have a wide range of applications, including the design of engines, turbines, and pumps. They are also important in the study of weather patterns, ocean currents, and blood flow in the human body.

4. How do engineers and scientists solve thermofluids and viscous flow problems?

Scientists and engineers use various mathematical models and computational methods to solve thermofluids and viscous flow problems. These may include the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids, and the laws of thermodynamics.

5. What are some current research topics in the field of thermofluids and viscous flow?

Some current research topics in this field include the development of more accurate and efficient computational methods for solving fluid flow problems, the study of turbulence and its effects on heat transfer, and the use of nanotechnology to improve heat transfer in various applications.