These new "LED Trucks" are distracting....

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, these LED trucks are a new cause for distracted driving accidents, and they should be specifically prohibited.
berkeman
Mentor
I saw my first LED Truck while commuting home yesterday, and found it really distracting while I was trying to drive. One reason was because it was new, and having never seen one I wanted to figure out what it was. The other reason was because the images on its sides and back door kept changing, which attracted my eyes away from the road.

Stationary LED billboards are a little distracting, but I guess we are mostly used to them now and they hopefully don't cause much in the way of distracted driving accidents. But I'm thinking that these new LED Trucks will be causing a few accidents before we can get used to them.

https://www.ledtruck.com/

1606849209792.png

Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Our tech overlords have decreed them, and so they shall be.

The problem with LED billboards is that they change so quickly, and then off to tyhe next one. They can sell me on pizza, but not on Irving's Pizza. Seems counterproductive.

Likes BillTre
Yeah. Clearly a case of profits over safety.

1606851088610.png

Likes 2milehi, Astronuc and BillTre
In Europe headlights are LED ones sometimes. Very disturbing. In the USA and England is that way?
Greetings from the Basque Country!

LED headlights are becoming more prevalent in the west.

Here in Europe are everywhere LED vehicles; LED headlights, I mean.
Greetings!

There are distracting possibilities:

Our local traffic act has vague wording about creating distractions.

berkeman said:
I saw my first LED Truck while commuting home yesterday, and found it really distracting while I was trying to drive. One reason was because it was new, and having never seen one I wanted to figure out what it was. The other reason was because the images on its sides and back door kept changing, which attracted my eyes away from the road.

Stationary LED billboards are a little distracting, but I guess we are mostly used to them now and they hopefully don't cause much in the way of distracted driving accidents. But I'm thinking that these new LED Trucks will be causing a few accidents before we can get used to them.

https://www.ledtruck.com/

View attachment 273512
Just wait, soon the truck in front of you will read your face (maybe even your lips) and serve you targeted adds.

And you'll probably get angry at your car for selling you out to the gas pump also.

Gas station pumps equipped with proximity sensors that can communicate with a vehicle or smartphone may soon be able to detect habits such as a driver’s purchase history. This even more detailed information could also be used to drive targeted ads. With IoT enabled, each pump topper could display different ads depending on the motorist performing the refueling.

https://usa.pwm.com/blog/2018/thefutureofpumptopadvertising/

Last edited:
Jarvis323 said:
read your face (maybe even your lips) and serve you targeted adds.
Isn't that a (dystopian) sci-fi story?

Keith_McClary said:
Isn't that a (dystopian) sci-fi story?
Yes, and also our new reality. Then probably this,

I think that they should not be allowed ##-## I think that they violate existing restrictions on externally-visible automotive lighting, anyway, but I also think that they should be more specifically prohibited.

In Lone Star Security v Los Angeles and Sami Ammari v Los Angeles , the US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit upheld bans against LED and some other types of advertising signs parked on (including on non-motorized trailers) or moving on City streets.

They're unnecessary, annoying, and dangerous.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc and Keith_McClary
berkeman said:

Yet another reason to avoid major metropolitan areas like LA and NY City. I much prefer rural areas, particularly mountains and forests.

DaveC426913 said:
Exactly, or put another way, just because one can doesn't mean one should.

mcastillo356 said:
In Europe headlights are LED ones sometimes. Very disturbing. In the USA and England is that way?
Greetings from the Basque Country!
They don't show you ads, they are just constantly illuminating the street.

The EU has regulations about lights on vehicles, quite possible LED ads are banned by them. They laughed when that banned Rolls-Royce's hood ornament, but these rules can be very useful.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc and mcastillo356
Bright Blue LEDS on everything are distracting. My magical roll of electrical tape fixes most, for the others, a tiny drill to the head fixes them. New LEDs atop police cruises too distracting. At night the “moth effect” seems to force your attention to them to the point IMO of causing distracted driving accidents.

Wow, those things are an abomination. The company must have bribed someone in the DOT to get those approved. I've never seen one and this is the first I've heard of them. The seem like good candidates for new paintjobs.

1. What are "LED trucks"?

"LED trucks" are trucks that are equipped with large LED screens on the side or back of the truck. These screens display advertisements, messages, or videos while the truck is in motion.

2. Why are these LED trucks considered distracting?

These LED trucks are considered distracting because the bright and constantly changing lights can catch the attention of drivers and pedestrians, taking their focus away from the road or their surroundings.

3. Are LED trucks legal?

The legality of LED trucks varies depending on the city or state. Some places have banned them entirely, while others have restrictions on when and where they can operate. It is important to check local laws before using an LED truck for advertising purposes.

4. Do LED trucks pose a safety hazard?

There is some concern that LED trucks can pose a safety hazard, as they may cause distractions for drivers and pedestrians. However, there is currently no conclusive evidence that these trucks have directly caused accidents.

5. Can anything be done to make LED trucks less distracting?

Some cities have implemented regulations on the brightness and speed of the advertisements displayed on LED trucks. Additionally, drivers can also take extra caution when passing by these trucks and try to avoid looking at the screens while driving.