Thevenin's Theorem Assignment: Solving V1 & V2

In summary, if you are trying to find the current through a load connected to two voltage sources, you should apply Thévenin's theorem, apply the superposition theorem, or transform the voltage sources and their associated reactances into current sources (and thus form a pair of Norton generators).
clembo
Hello just wondering if any of you clever people would be able to give me some guidance on an assignment question I have been given. The notes for the course are terrible and they seem to love to through terminologies into the assignments which have not been covered in the course notes.

So does anyone know what is meant by the term : V1 = Sqr2 ×415cos(100πt) V2 = Sqr2 ×415sin(100πt) in relation to the diagram attached. The full question is:

FIGURE 1 shows a 50 Ω load being fed from two voltage sources via
their associated reactances. Determine the current i flowing in the load by:

(a) applying Thévenin’s theorem
(b) applying the superposition theorem

(c) by transforming the two voltage sources and their associated
reactances into current sources (and thus form a pair of Norton
generators.

upload_2015-1-31_17-50-43.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi clembo, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Refer to This Thread.
It seems to be a popular assignment question.

If you have further questions after wading through that, feel free to ask.

In future, please be sure to fill out the formatting template for all questions posted to the homework sections of PF. It's a requirement and in the rules that you accepted when you joined.

Hello gneill, thanks for the link to the previous thread about this topic. I have been on this question now for about three weeks... finally I have something like an answer but my Thevenins Current and Superposition Current are not matching up. I have swapped between Polar and Rectangular numbers to make calculation easier. Can this mess the figures up. I have attached a copy of my working out. If you can see anything obviously wrong I would appreciate the advice. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• E+E Attempt 1.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 805
What I've spotted so far is that in the final line of your first page, when you cross multiplied you swapped the two inductor impedance values.

Second observation, when you apply the current divider rule to find the load current due to V1 you've chosen the wrong impedance for the numerator of the ratio. If you already have the total current that is being divided, you no longer care what it flowed through to get where it is "now". Only the two loads that it splits between should be involved.

Does this make any difference to the overall equation for Vth as when I follow the equation through I end up with 2490 + J1660 = 166 - J248 or 299.26 /_ -56.31deg
J10

clembo said:
Does this make any difference to the overall equation for Vth as when I follow the equation through I end up with 2490 + J1660 = 166 - J248 or 299.26 /_ -56.31deg
J10
It changes the sign of the phase angle.

Ahhh I see thank you for your assistance.

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that allows a complex circuit to be simplified into a single equivalent circuit with a voltage source, a resistance, and a load. This simplified circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

2. How is Thevenin's Theorem applied in solving for V1 and V2?

Thevenin's Theorem is used to simplify a complex circuit into a single equivalent circuit, making it easier to calculate the voltage across two specific points in the circuit, such as V1 and V2. The equivalent circuit can be solved using basic circuit analysis techniques to determine the voltage at the specified points.

3. What are the steps to solve for V1 and V2 using Thevenin's Theorem?

The first step is to identify the two points where V1 and V2 are to be calculated. Then, the complex circuit is simplified into its Thevenin equivalent circuit. Next, the equivalent resistance of the circuit is calculated. Finally, using Ohm's Law, the voltage at V1 and V2 can be determined by dividing the equivalent voltage by the equivalent resistance.

4. What are the advantages of using Thevenin's Theorem to solve circuit problems?

Thevenin's Theorem simplifies complex circuits, making them easier to analyze and solve. It also allows for the calculation of voltage at any desired point in the circuit without having to consider the rest of the circuit. This makes it a powerful tool for circuit analysis and design.

5. Are there any limitations to Thevenin's Theorem?

While Thevenin's Theorem is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must follow Ohm's Law. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state condition, and does not take into account the effects of time-varying signals.