Norton's Theorem and Thevenin's theorem

In summary, the conversation focuses on finding the Norton equivalent source between terminals A and B for a circuit with a voltage source and two resistors. The conversation includes a discussion about using Thevenin's theorem and the Superposition Principle, as well as a suggestion to use source transforms. Ultimately, the summary concludes with a simplified approach to finding the Norton equivalent by short circuiting the voltage and open circuiting the current source.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

For some reason I don't use this theorem since Thevenin's theorem is more common. I'm asked to find the Norton equivalent source between the terminals ##A## and ##B## for the following:

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 4.23.33 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first step is to short ##R_2##, and to find the short circuit current across that wiring.

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 4.23.33 PM.png

I believe KCL at the node above the ##3 mA## would be useful:

##\sum I = 0 \Rightarrow 3mA + I_{sc} - I_R = 0 \Rightarrow I_{sc} = I_R - 3mA = \frac{V_{Node} + 20V}{4k} - 3mA##

Now ##V_{Node}## is the voltage across the ##3 mA##. Applying KVL around the left loop using the current source as a constraint:

##\sum V = 0 \Rightarrow 20V + V_R + V_{Node} = 0 \Rightarrow V_{Node} = -(20V + V_R) = -(20V + (3mA)(4k)) = - 32V##

This implies that ##I_{sc} = \frac{-32V + 20V}{4k} - 3mA = - 6mA##.

Is this reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org
You went astray when you wrote equations with ##V_{Node}##. The short circuit forces ##V_{Node}## to be zero volts. If you think about the Superposition Principle you can take advantage of that, since it makes calculating the current contribution of the 20 V source quite simple.

If I may suggest another approach? Start by converting the 20V source and R1 to their Norton equivalent. Then take advantage of parallel connections to simplify...

Likes STEMucator
Ah source transforms, those are awfully useful and I hardly ever use them.

First, ##V = -IR \Rightarrow I = \frac{-20V}{4k} = -5mA## so ##-5mA## points up or ##5mA## points down. Also, the ##5 mA## is in parallel with the ##4k## now.

So the combined current in parallel is ##-5mA + 3mA = -2mA##. This is the only current in this new circuit (comprised of the current source, 4k resistor and shorted 6k resistor). Hence ##I_{sc} = -2mA##.

Now going back to the original circuit, short circuiting the voltage and open circuiting the current source, we find:

##R_{th} = (\frac{1}{4k} + \frac{1}{6k})^{-1} = \frac{12k}{5}##

Hence the norton equivalent would be ##-2mA## pointing up in parallel with ##R_{th}##.

There you go! Much less brain sweat required :)

Yes, your solution is reasonable and correct. Norton's Theorem and Thevenin's theorem are both important tools in circuit analysis, and they are often used together to simplify complex circuits. While Thevenin's theorem is more commonly used, Norton's theorem can also be useful in certain situations. It is always important to have a thorough understanding of both theorems and know when to apply each one. Your use of Kirchhoff's laws in your solution shows a good understanding of circuit analysis techniques. Keep up the good work!

1. What is Norton's Theorem and how is it used?

Norton's Theorem is a method used to simplify complex electrical networks into a single current source and a parallel resistor. It is used to calculate the current flowing through a specific branch in the network.

2. How is Norton's Theorem different from Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is a method used to simplify complex electrical networks into a single voltage source and a series resistor. It is used to calculate the voltage across a specific branch in the network. While Norton's Theorem uses a current source and parallel resistor, Thevenin's Theorem uses a voltage source and series resistor.

3. What are the steps to apply Norton's Theorem?

The steps to apply Norton's Theorem are as follows:

1. Identify the load resistance and remove it from the circuit.
  2. Calculate the equivalent resistance of the network, excluding the load resistance.
  3. Find the short circuit current by connecting a wire across the load terminals and calculating the current flowing through the wire.
  4. Draw the Norton equivalent circuit with the calculated current source and equivalent resistance in parallel.
  5. Place the load resistance back into the circuit and calculate the current using Ohm's Law.

4. What are the limitations of Norton's Theorem?

Norton's Theorem has a few limitations, including:

• It can only be applied to linear circuit elements.
  • The load resistance must be greater than zero.
  • It is not applicable to circuits with dependent sources.

5. In what situations would Thevenin's Theorem be more useful than Norton's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is more useful than Norton's Theorem in situations where the load resistance is known and the goal is to find the voltage across the load. It is also preferred when the load resistance is small, as it is easier to measure voltage than current in this case.