Thevenin's Theorem: Solving Homework Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equivalent resistance (Rth) in a circuit using the equation Vth = Isc * Rth. The person has redrew the circuit to better understand it and has found the value of Rth to be 5/3 times the original resistance (R). They also confirmed their work by checking the short circuit current and open circuit voltage at the output. The answer is deemed correct.
hqjb

Homework Statement

2j0au78.jpg

Homework Equations

Vth = Isc * Rth

The Attempt at a Solution

2djpijq.jpg

I'm not sure what those triangles mean but I assume it means they belong to the same node so I redrew as such.
After that I found the Rth to be Rth = [itex]\frac{2R*R}{3R} + R = \frac{5}{3}R[/itex]

Edit : I found Isc = 0.2 A
and Voc = 1/3 V

Am i doing it correctly?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The triangles signify circuit ground, so yes, they are the same node

To check your work, see what the short circuit current would be and what the open circuit voltage would be at the output in both cases. If they agree, then you have the right answer.

Yes, your value for the resistance is correct, although since you know R=10, you don't need to express it in terms of R.

Related to Thevenin's Theorem: Solving Homework Equations

What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering and circuit analysis. It states that any linear electrical network can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source in series with a single resistance. This simplified circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

How is Thevenin's Theorem used to solve homework equations?

In circuit analysis, Thevenin's Theorem can be used to simplify complex circuits into a single equivalent circuit, making it easier to solve homework equations. By finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit, students can analyze the circuit using basic circuit analysis techniques such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws.

What are the steps to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The steps to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit are as follows:

1. Remove the load resistor from the original circuit.
  2. Calculate the open-circuit voltage by finding the voltage across the load resistor terminals.
  3. Calculate the equivalent resistance by finding the resistance between the load resistor terminals.
  4. Draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit with the calculated open-circuit voltage and equivalent resistance.

Can Thevenin's Theorem be applied to non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's Theorem can only be applied to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits, which have components that do not follow Ohm's Law, cannot be simplified using Thevenin's Theorem.

What are the limitations of Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is limited to linear circuits and cannot be applied to non-linear circuits. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady state. Additionally, Thevenin's Theorem is only applicable for DC circuits, and may not accurately represent the behavior of AC circuits.