Thickness of steel required for a vacuum chamber

In summary, the individual is seeking to build a vacuum chamber for personal use, with dimensions of 24" wide, 18" deep, and 18" in height. It will be made of galvanized steel and will have an 8"x6" Plexiglas window on top. The chamber will need to withstand a large amount of pressure, equivalent to 15 PSI at sea level, and the walls must be able to hold up to 6480 pounds each for the front, back, top, and bottom, and 4860 pounds each for the left and right sides. The Plexiglas window must also be able to withstand 720 pounds on its own. The individual is seeking guidance on determining the necessary thickness of
Upsilon
I'm trying to build a vacuum chamber for chemistry purposes. This isn't exactly for school, but it's something I'm doing for fun and it's close enough to a school problem. Anyway, my vacuum chamber will be a prism 24" wide, 18" deep, and 18" in height. It will also have a 8"x6" Plexiglas window on top. Obviously, a large amount of pressure will have to be dealt with. The walls of the chamber will be galvanized steel. Assuming about 15 PSI at sea level (I live in Florida), the front, back, top, and bottom (24"x18" each) must hold up to 6480 pounds each, and the left and right sides (18"x18" each) must hold up to 4860 pounds each. The Plexiglas window must also hold 720 pounds on its own.

Now, I've spent several hours trying to figure this out on my own, but it's just become too much of a headache and I have no idea where to start trying to solve this. Basically, I want to know how thick the steel/Plexiglas has to be to withstand the above forces. Or perhaps you could give me some formulas and whatnot to get me started. I'd really just like to get past this so I can start on the fun stuff.

Thanks,
υ

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat each of the 6 sides as a flat plate simply supported on the edge, with no tension normal to the edge (i.e., on a roller), and loaded normally. Look up the solution for the 2D elastic deformation of a flat plate, and make sure that the plate is thick enough such that the maximum stress does not exceed the yield stress of the material. Also apply a reasonable factor of safety to be sure.

What is the minimum thickness of steel required for a vacuum chamber?

The minimum thickness of steel required for a vacuum chamber depends on several factors, such as the size and shape of the chamber, the level of vacuum required, and the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the chamber. In general, thicker steel is needed for larger chambers and higher vacuum levels.

How does the thickness of steel affect the performance of a vacuum chamber?

The thickness of steel plays a crucial role in the performance of a vacuum chamber. Thicker steel can withstand higher levels of vacuum and pressure differentials without deforming or collapsing, ensuring the integrity of the chamber and its contents. It also helps to reduce heat transfer and maintain a stable temperature inside the chamber.

What are the consequences of using inadequate thickness of steel for a vacuum chamber?

Using inadequate thickness of steel for a vacuum chamber can have serious consequences. It may lead to structural failure, leakage of air into the chamber, and loss of vacuum pressure. This can compromise the experiments or processes being conducted inside the chamber and may even pose safety hazards.

What factors should be considered when determining the thickness of steel for a vacuum chamber?

Several factors should be considered when determining the thickness of steel for a vacuum chamber, including the size and shape of the chamber, the level of vacuum required, the type of material being used, and the conditions and environment in which the chamber will be used. It is essential to consult with experts and perform thorough calculations to determine the appropriate thickness.

Are there any industry standards or guidelines for the thickness of steel in vacuum chambers?

Yes, there are industry standards and guidelines for the thickness of steel in vacuum chambers. These standards, such as ASME Section VIII Division 1 and 2, provide guidelines for the design, construction, and inspection of pressure vessels, including vacuum chambers. It is essential to adhere to these standards to ensure the safety and performance of the vacuum chamber.