Surface treating mild steel for hard vacuum

In summary, it is possible to apply a surface treatment or coating to the internal walls of the vessel - but it would be a very difficult task.
norlesh
I understand mild steel is very bad at out gassing so is never usually considered for hard vacuum applications. But if the decision was constrained by other factors would it be possible to apply a surface treatment or coating to the internal walls of the vessel - am I correct in assuming that as long as the chambers structure is up to the task of withstanding the external pressure any internal surface skin only needs to withstand the small non-accumulative forces of individual atoms 'attempting' to out gas from the inner thickness of the walls?

The 'other factors' constraining my decision to use mild steel is I have an old fire safe with 0.23 m3 internal space that I would like to turn into some sort of vacuum deposition chamber Oh and this thing is located on the second floor of my building and probably weighs in at a tonne so it's not like I can send it to get plated ;).

Physics news on Phys.org
Gonna be a tough go. What level of vacuum do you need? Can you heat it up in the initial outgassing phase?

Well my initial goal is to be able to do aluminium coating of optics - still looking for a reliable number on what pressure is required for this. The upper/lower limit of UHV seems like a good target to shoot for which according to wikipedia starts at 10-7 Pa.

As for heating this thing, the walls are 850 mm thick - not sure if its all steal or if there is some kind of refractory in between but either way it would take obscene amounts of energy to raise the temperature. Perhaps I could accelerate the out gassing by initiating a low pressure arc to irradiate the walls with UV.

Maybe vaporizing a couple of hundred grams of a suitable substance (2.4 m2 surface area) on the inside could work assuming it didn't fuse the door permanently closed that is.

I am not optimistic regarding your success.

1. What is the purpose of surface treating mild steel for hard vacuum?

The purpose of surface treating mild steel for hard vacuum is to remove any impurities or contaminants on the surface of the metal that could potentially outgas and cause contamination within the vacuum environment. This treatment also helps to improve the surface finish and increase the strength and durability of the metal in a vacuum environment.

2. How is surface treating mild steel for hard vacuum achieved?

Surface treating mild steel for hard vacuum is typically achieved through a process called vacuum degassing, which involves heating the metal in a vacuum chamber to high temperatures and then cooling it down slowly. This process helps to remove any gases or impurities from the surface of the metal, making it more suitable for use in a vacuum environment.

3. What are the benefits of surface treating mild steel for hard vacuum?

The benefits of surface treating mild steel for hard vacuum include improved surface finish and increased strength and durability within a vacuum environment. It also helps to prevent contamination and outgassing, which can be detrimental to certain scientific experiments or processes that require a clean and controlled environment.

4. How does the choice of surface treatment affect the performance of mild steel in a vacuum?

The choice of surface treatment can greatly affect the performance of mild steel in a vacuum environment. Depending on the type of treatment used, it can improve the surface finish, increase strength and durability, and prevent contamination. It is important to choose the appropriate surface treatment based on the specific needs and requirements of the vacuum environment.

5. Is surface treating mild steel for hard vacuum necessary?

Surface treating mild steel for hard vacuum is not always necessary, but it is highly recommended in most cases. If the metal will be used in a vacuum environment that requires a clean and controlled atmosphere, then surface treating is essential to prevent contamination and ensure optimal performance of the metal. However, if the metal will not be exposed to a vacuum environment, surface treating may not be necessary.