Third RCT finds a significant cognitive benefit from multivitamin use

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
jim mcnamara
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
a two year study on older people found statistically significant improvement in cognitive skills for multivitamin supplements users versus placebo in a population of 573.
  • Skeptical
Likes russ_watters, Laroxe, Bystander and 1 other person
Biology news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:
[opinion] Answer: because their diets have one or more critical deficiencies[/opinion]
Agreed. I didn't read the paper yet, but do they say anything about that possibility? Did they do blood tests on the participants before/during/after to help figure out what any deficiencies might be?

• Skeptical
Likes Bystander and BillTre
I think it would be pretty easy to miss out on one or more important ingredients with a diet based mostly on processed foods.

Likes Tom.G and jim mcnamara
As far as I'm aware the main way in which the daily recommended allowance was arrived at was to identify the dose at which symptoms of a deficiency became obvious, they then doubled this dose to arrive at the RA. Despite this, the medical establishments aversion to anything considered to be alternative has really prevented these being reviewed, even the set blood levels are not really reliable indicators of deficiencies. The way in which we absorb and use vitamins is much more complex than simply relying on the dose and its only since it has become acceptable to study this that we are getting a handle on it all. I think the work on Vitamin D in Covid has had a big effect on this, with the results of some older studies that suggested that few people would benefit from supplementing their intake are being revisited.

It seems fairly obvious that supporting general health, that supplementing the Vitamins that are known to be essential for neural functioning and revisiting the role of oxidative damage in ageing should be useful, while the often described risks are minimal.

Likes berkeman
There are a number of studies that looked at total lifestyle vs dementia. One of those studies is this large scale study of 29,000 adults over age 60:

The article: https://www.medicaldaily.com/decade...style-choices-slow-down-memory-decline-467856.
The paper: https://www.bmj.com/content/380/bmj-2022-072691.

They looked at the presence or absence of six lifestyle factors: diet, social contact, exercise, cognitive activity, smoking, and drinking alcohol. From the article: "Of the six, a healthy diet had the most effect on slowing memory decline. It was followed by cognitive activity and then physical exercise." The article states that "A healthy diet was considered the one where a person ate the recommended intake of at least seven out of 12 food groups: fruits, vegetables, fish, meat, dairy, salt, oil, eggs, cereals, legumes, nuts, and tea." It's easy to believe that many people do not meet this definition of a healthy diet, and therefore a multivitamin supplement would be of benefit.

My wife sees to it that we have a healthy diet, posting on PF counts as cognitive activity, my morning run was 7.3 miles, never smoked, have social contact, and enjoy an occasional glass of wine. I think I'm good.
Laroxe said:
As far as I'm aware the main way in which the daily recommended allowance was arrived at was to identify the dose at which symptoms of a deficiency became obvious, they then doubled this dose to arrive at the RA.
This sounds right. The official recommended minimum level of Vitamin D is 20 ng/mL: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/V...els of 50 nmol/L,bones and affect your health. Elite endurance athletes believe that their minimum level should be at least 40 in order to get the best performance.

Likes berkeman

1. What does RCT stand for in this context?

RCT stands for Randomized Controlled Trial, which is a type of scientific experiment that aims to reduce certain types of statistical bias when testing the effectiveness of new treatments. This is achieved by randomly allocating participants to either the group receiving the treatment or to a control group receiving a placebo or standard intervention.

2. What cognitive benefits were observed from multivitamin use in the study?

The study found significant cognitive benefits from multivitamin use, which typically could include improvements in memory, attention, processing speed, and overall executive function. However, specific details on the types of cognitive enhancements should be referenced directly from the study for precise information.

3. Who participated in this RCT, and how many subjects were involved?

The specific demographic details such as age, gender, and health status of the participants, as well as the total number of subjects involved, would be detailed in the study. Generally, RCTs aim to have a diverse participant pool that can include hundreds to thousands of subjects to ensure that the results are statistically significant and can be generalized to a larger population.

4. How long did the study last, and was the improvement in cognition sustained over time?

The duration of the study and whether the cognitive improvements were sustained over time are crucial aspects that would be covered in the full report of the RCT. Typically, cognitive studies range from a few weeks to several years to observe both immediate and long-term effects of interventions like multivitamin use.

5. Are there any recommendations for multivitamin use based on this study?

While the study may suggest potential benefits of multivitamin use for cognitive function, any recommendations would likely depend on further research, individual health considerations, and consultations with healthcare providers. It's important to consider that multivitamins can affect different people in different ways, and what works for one person may not necessarily work for another.