This is bad I think or I may not understand properly (heading for a dead Universe?)

• B
  • Thread starter Timboo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of heat death in the universe and the possibility of the early galaxies being dead. It is mentioned that this process won't happen soon, but in about 5 billion years the sun will become a red giant and potentially swallow the Earth. The article referenced shows that this process may be happening sooner than previously thought. The conversation concludes by stating that even if star formation stops in our galaxy, it will not affect us significantly and there may be other factors at play in the early galaxies.
Timboo
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
In a sense we are. The concept is called heat death. It refers to the time when all the stars run out of fuel and stop shining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

But it won't happen soon. Estimates are up to 10106 years (10 with 106 zeros after) for that to happen.

But in only 5 billion years or so, the sun will become a red giant and swallow the Earth. Hopefully, we'll move elsewhere before that happens, or our doom will come then. :smile:

I meant this article, shows it is happening sooner. Like it’s coming now

Timboo said:
Yes, it is happening now, it will just take a while to finish. If my doom happens long after I'm already dead, it's not something that will upset me.

Timboo said:
Nothing is coming to kill you. Star formation stopping in our galaxy wouldn't be a problem for us even if it did happen - our star is already formed and has about ten billion years left on the clock. And the most likely thing is that there's just something funny about gigantic galaxies in the early universe that makes them stop forming stars. Clearly star formation didn't stop everywhere - we're here.

1. What do you mean by a "dead Universe"?

A "dead Universe" refers to a theoretical scenario in which the universe has reached a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done. This would result in a universe that is void of any life or activity.

2. How likely is it that the Universe will reach this state?

The likelihood of the Universe reaching a state of maximum entropy is currently unknown. Some theories suggest that the Universe will continue to expand and eventually reach this state, while others propose that the Universe will undergo a "big crunch" and collapse in on itself before reaching maximum entropy.

3. What would happen to life on Earth if the Universe reached a state of maximum entropy?

If the Universe were to reach a state of maximum entropy, all life on Earth would cease to exist. This is because all energy would be evenly distributed, making it impossible for any work to be done. Without energy, life as we know it would not be able to survive.

4. Is there anything that can be done to prevent the Universe from reaching this state?

At this point in time, there is no known way to prevent the Universe from reaching a state of maximum entropy. However, some scientists believe that technological advancements and the ability to harness energy from other sources could potentially delay or prevent this scenario.

5. How does the concept of a "dead Universe" relate to the concept of the heat death of the Universe?

The concept of a "dead Universe" is closely related to the idea of the heat death of the Universe. Both refer to a state of maximum entropy in which the Universe has reached a state of equilibrium and all energy is evenly distributed. However, the heat death of the Universe specifically refers to the gradual decline and eventual disappearance of all energy and heat in the Universe, while the term "dead Universe" is more general and can encompass various scenarios of maximum entropy.