This is known as the Sector Area Formula.

• MHB
  • Thread starter susanto3311
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Circle
In summary, we discussed finding the area of a circular sector by using the formula: $A=\frac{1}{2}\theta r^2$, where $\theta$ is given in radians and $r$ is the radius of the circle. We also generalized the formula by showing that the area of the sector is 1/3 of the whole circle's area if the angle subtended within the sector is 1/3 of the total angle within the circle.
susanto3311
hello guys..

how to figure it out this below problem, find area of circle

please, see my picture..

thanks...

susanto3311

Attachments

• area problem.jpg
    area problem.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 57
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts here on what you should do?

i confused about 240...how to elaborate with commonly area formula?

If $240^{\circ}$ is outside the sector whose area we want, then what angle is inside, and then what portion of the whole is this?

Can we generalize from this to get a formula for the area of a circular sector?

can you make to me more simple, i think be illustrated with my problem sample.

A circle "encloses" $360^{\circ}$...if $240^{\circ}$ is outside the sector we want, how much is inside?

hi Mark..

360-240 = 120, then...how to elaborate?...

What portion of 360 is 120?

MarkFL said:
What portion of 360 is 120?

=120/360=0.333, so...

Actually, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{120}{360}=\frac{1}{3}\)

So, what portion of the area of the whole circle do you suppose the area of the sector would be?

MarkFL said:
Actually, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{120}{360}=\frac{1}{3}\)

So, what portion of the area of the whole circle do you suppose the area of the sector would be?

hi Mark, finally
i think like this :

It's true, Mark?

Attachments

• area problem_2.jpg
    area problem_2.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Yes, since 1/3 of the total angle within the circle is subtended by the sector, then its area is 1/3 of the whole circle. So, we could generalize and state that if the angle subtended within two radii of a circular sector is $\theta$ (given in radians) then the area $A$ of the sector is:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{\theta}{2\pi}\cdot\pi r^2=\frac{1}{2}\theta r^2\)

What is the formula for finding the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr^2, where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

How do I measure the radius of a circle?

The radius of a circle is the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the circumference. You can measure the radius using a ruler or measuring tape.

What is the value of pi (π)?

Pi, represented by the Greek letter π, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 3.14159. It is used in the formula for finding the area of a circle.

Can I use a different unit of measurement for the radius?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for the radius as long as you use the same unit for the area. For example, if the radius is measured in meters, the area will be in square meters.

What is the significance of finding the area of a circle?

Finding the area of a circle is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the amount of space a round rug will cover in a room or finding the area of a circular field for farming. It is also an important concept in mathematics and geometry.