This is review for me, but something is going awry

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Review
In summary: There are TWO linearly independent homogeneous solutions. One of them is 3/2*exp(-t), the other is 0.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the following initial value problems:

(a) y'' - 2y' + 5y = 0, y(π/2)=0, y'(π/2)=0

Homework Equations

Just know to "guess" y=Cert, how to bring in Euler's formula, and that sin(x) is odd while cos(x) is even

The Attempt at a Solution

Guess: y= ert

-----> r2ert - 2rert + 5ert = 0
-----> r2 - 2r + 5 = 0
-----> (r-1)2 = -5 + 1
-----> r - 1 = +/- √-4
-----> r = 1 +/- 2i
-----> y = et( C1(cos2t+isin2t) + C2(cos(-2t)+isin(-2t)) )
-----> y = et( C1cos2t + C1sin2t - C2cos2t + C2isin2t)
-----> y = et(K1cos2t + K2sin2t), where K1, K2 are new constants to represent (C1 - C2), (iC1 + iC2)But then come the initial conditions!

0 = eπ/2K1(-1)
2 = K1eπ/2(-1)+ 2K2eπ/2(-1)

It just seems like a ghey problem if K1 disappears

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good so far. Did you mean y'(pi/2)=2? What's so hard about the initial conditions? What are sin(pi) and cos(pi)?

Oh, and another one.

y'' + 2y' + y = 3e-t

I'll find the homogenous solution first. The characteristic polynomial is r2 + 2r + 1 = 0 -----> r = -1, a repeated root ----> The homogenous solution is (C1 + C2t)e-t.

Now I'll guess a second general solution, C3e-t.

------> C3et - 2C3e-t + C3e-t = 3e-t
------> 0 = 0.

Fork! So is the homogeneous solution all? Just for the heck of it, I tried y(t)=(At2 + Bt + C)e-t, but to no avail; there doesn't seem to be a polynomial that can be multiplied by e-t without my getting 0=0.

Where should I go from here?

Last edited:
There is an inhomogeneous solution of the form (At^2+Bt+C)*exp(-t). You just missed it.

Dick said:
Looks good so far. Did you mean y'(pi/2)=2? What's so hard about the initial conditions? What are sin(pi) and cos(pi)?

Well, yeah.

y(t) = C1etcos2t + C2etsin2t -----> y'(t) = et(-C12sin2t + C1cos2t + 2C2cost + C2sin2t).

So,
0 = C1eπ/2cos(π) + C2eπ/2sin(π)
2 = -2C1eπ/2sin(π) + C1eπ/2cos(π) + 2C2eπ/2cos(π) + C2eπ/2sin(π)

----->

2 = -C2eπ/2

----> y(t) = -e-π/2etcos2t

Last edited:
Dick said:
There is an inhomogeneous solution of the form (At^2+Bt+C)*exp(-t). You just missed it.

Allow me to demonstrate.

y(t) = At2e-t + Bte-t + Ce-t
----> y'(t)= -At2e-t + 2Ate-t -Bte-t + Be-t - Ce-t

----> y''(t)= At2e-t - 2Ate-t - 2Ate-t + 2Ae-t + Bte-t -Be-t - Be-t + Ce-t

-----> At2e-t - 2Ate-t - 2Ate-t + 2Ae-t + Bte-t -Be-t - Be-t + Ce-t + 2*[ -At2e-t + 2Ate-t -Bte-t + Be-t - Ce-t ] + At2e-t + Bte-t + Ce-t = 3e-t

Everything on the left side cancels out!

Jamin2112 said:
Well, yeah.

y(t) = C1etcos2t + C2etsin2t -----> y'(t) = et(-C12sin2t + C1cos2t + 2C2cost + C2sin2t).

So,
0 = C1eπ/2cos(π) + C2eπ/2sin(π)
2 = -2C1eπ/2sin(π) + C1eπ/2cos(π) + 2C2eπ/2cos(π) + C2eπ/2sin(π)

----->

2 = -C2eπ/2

----> y(t) = -e-π/2etcos2t

Yes, what's wrong or 'ghey' about that?

Dick said:
Yes, what's wrong or 'ghey' about that?

I'm used to easy system of equations in these problems.

Something like

0 = C1 + C2
2 = 3C1 - C2,

not something with eπ/2

Jamin2112 said:
Allow me to demonstrate.

y(t) = At2e-t + Bte-t + Ce-t
----> y'(t)= -At2e-t + 2Ate-t -Bte-t + Be-t - Ce-t

----> y''(t)= At2e-t - 2Ate-t - 2Ate-t + 2Ae-t + Bte-t -Be-t - Be-t + Ce-t

-----> At2e-t - 2Ate-t - 2Ate-t + 2Ae-t + Bte-t -Be-t - Be-t + Ce-t + 2*[ -At2e-t + 2Ate-t -Bte-t + Be-t - Ce-t ] + At2e-t + Bte-t + Ce-t = 3e-t

Everything on the left side cancels out!

Look, you can forget about the B and C parts. You should KNOW they are going to cancel. They are part of the homogenous solution. Are you really going to make me check that? I will ask you, what canceled the 2*A*exp(-t)?

Jamin2112 said:
I'm used to easy system of equations in these problems.

Something like

0 = C1 + C2
2 = 3C1 - C2,

not something with eπ/2

exp(pi/2) is just another constant. Doesn't make it any harder than a constant like '3'.

Dick said:
Look, you can forget about the B and C parts. You should KNOW they are going to cancel. They are part of the homogenous solution. Are you really going to make me check that? I will ask you, what canceled the 2*A*exp(-t)?

Let us see.

y(t) = At2e-t,
y'(t) = -At2e-t + 2Ate-t,
y''(t)=At2e-t - 2Ate-t - 2Ate-t + 2Ae-t

------------>

At2e-t - 2Ate-t - 2Ate-t + 2Ae-t -2At2e-t + 4Ate-t + At2e-t = 3e-t

----------> A = 3/2

I think I finally got it. What a ghey problem.

WAIT! Now I have the homogeneous solution, in which the coefficients are undetermined, PLUS one another e-t with a determined coefficient. How does that work? What was the point if (3/2 + C1) could just be merged into a new constant?

Last edited:
Jamin2112 said:
Let us see.

y(t) = At2e-t,
y'(t) = -At2e-t + 2Ate-t,
y''(t)=At2e-t - 2Ate-t - 2Ate-t + 2Ae-t

------------>

At2e-t - 2Ate-t - 2Ate-t + 2Ae-t -2At2e-t + 4Ate-t + At2e-t = 3e-t

----------> A = 3/2

I think I finally got it. What a ghey problem.

WAIT! Now I have the homogeneous solution, in which the coefficients are undetermined, PLUS one another e-t with a determined coefficient. How does that work? What was the point if (3/2 + C1) could just be merged into a new constant?

I would stop saying 'ghey'. I don't think it's universally appreciated. You can't absorb the inhomogeneous solution into the homogeneous solution by adjusting a constant. You are just being sloppy again.

Related to This is review for me, but something is going awry

What does "going awry" mean in this context?

"Going awry" means that something is not going as expected or planned. It suggests that there is an unexpected problem or issue that needs to be addressed.

What could be causing the issue in this review?

There could be a variety of factors causing the issue in the review. It could be a mistake or error on the part of the reviewer, a technical issue with the review platform, or a misunderstanding of the review criteria or guidelines.

How can we fix the issue in this review?

The first step to fixing the issue is identifying the root cause. Once the cause is identified, appropriate steps can be taken to address it. This could include clarifying the review criteria, providing additional training or guidance to the reviewer, or fixing any technical issues.

What can we learn from this issue in the review?

This issue can serve as a learning opportunity for both the reviewer and the review process. It can highlight areas for improvement and help prevent similar issues from occurring in the future.

How can we prevent similar issues from happening in the future?

To prevent similar issues, it is important to have clear and specific review criteria and guidelines in place. Regular training and communication can also help ensure that all reviewers are on the same page. Additionally, regularly evaluating and improving the review process can help identify and address any potential issues before they arise.