This trig equation is driving me nuts

• Thread starter PlayingCatchUp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuts Trig
In summary: Thanks anyways!In summary, the conversation discusses different attempts at solving the equation 6sin2x-3sin22x+cos2x=0, including using the double angle identity and merging terms. Ultimately, the solution is found by using the identity cos(x)^2=1-sin(x)^2 to put the equation in terms of a single trig function and factoring. The final solution is 4cos2x-3=0 or 3cos2x-2=0, which yields the answer +-35.26° +-n360°, +-30° +-n360° according to the textbook.
PlayingCatchUp
I have probably put around two hours into this question to no avail!

6sin2(x) - 3sin2(2x) + cos2(x)=0

I have too many fruitless attempts to bother typing them all out.. But my instincts at first told me that this looks like a quadratic equation.

I have tried using the double angle identity on the 2nd term to get:

6sin2(x) - 12sin2(x)cos2(x) + cos2(x) = 0 but beyond that I am just messing with identities with no solution in sight.

Also merging the first and third terms to get :

5sin2(x) -12sin2(x)cos2(x) + 1 =0

And much more..

Please help!

The answer according to my textbook is +-35.26° +-n360°, +-30° +-n360°

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PlayingCatchUp said:
I have probably put around two hours into this question to no avail!

6sin2(x) - 3sin2(2x) + cos2(x)=0

I have too many fruitless attempts to bother typing them all out.. But my instincts at first told me that this looks like a quadratic equation.

I have tried using the double angle identity on the 2nd term to get:

6sin2(x) - 12sin2(x)cos2(x) + cos2(x) = 0 but beyond that I am just messing with identities with no solution in sight.

Also merging the first and third terms to get :

5sin2(x) -12sin2(x)cos2(x) + 1 =0

And much more..

Please help!

The answer according to my textbook is +-35.26° +-n360°, +-30° +-n360°

Try using the identity $$cos(x)^2=1-sin(x)^2$$ to put it in terms of a single trig function. It's actually a quartic. Then factor.

Dick said:
Try using the identity $$cos(x)^2=1-sin(x)^2$$ to put it in terms of a single trig function. It's actually a quartic. Then factor.

Thanks I got it now. I had been down that route but for some reason I just never took it all the way..

Here is the solution I got, though it probably isn't the best.

6sin2x-3sin22x+cos2x=0

using Pythagoras and double angle identities

5sin2x - 12sin2xcos2x + 1 = 0

sin2x(5 - 12cos2x ) + 1 = 0

(1 - cos2x)(5 - 12cos2x) + 1 = 0

12cos4x - 17cos2x + 6 = 0

(4cos2x - 3)(3cos2x - 2) = 0

I don't know how I didn't see it before!

1. What is a trig equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and unknown variables. These equations are used to solve problems related to angles and triangles.

2. How do I solve a trig equation?

To solve a trig equation, you need to use mathematical techniques such as factoring, substitution, and the use of trigonometric identities. It is important to have a good understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties.

3. Why is this trig equation so challenging?

Trig equations can be challenging because they involve complex mathematical concepts and multiple steps to solve. Additionally, there are many different types of trig equations, each with their own unique solving methods.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving trig equations?

Some common mistakes when solving trig equations include forgetting to use trigonometric identities, making calculation errors, and forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. It is important to double check your work and be familiar with the properties of trigonometric functions.

5. How can I get better at solving trig equations?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving trig equations. Make sure you understand the concepts and techniques involved, and try solving a variety of problems. It can also be helpful to seek additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, for extra practice and guidance.