Thomas-Fermi approximation and the dielectric function

In summary, the 'static limit' refers to the frequency being taken to zero while the wavenumber remains finite. In the case of a Coulomb potential, this is only possible with a source, unlike photons which are source-free. The Thomas-Fermi approximation is valid for electron wavenumbers much smaller than the Fermi wavevector, but it may also be used for graphene where the change in wavenumber is much smaller than the Fermi wavevector.
industrygiant
1)What exactly is meant by the 'static limit' where the frequency is taken to zero, but the wavenumber is finite? I am getting confused because if the frequency is zero, then surely the probing electrons/photons/whatever have no wavelength, so how can the wavenumber be finite and non-zero?

2) Regarding the Thomas-Fermi approximation, in my textbook (Kittel) it says that it is valid for electron wavenumbers much smaller than the fermi wavevector - so larger wavelengths than the fermi wavelength. If I am looking at impurity scattering in a metal, then surely you cannot apply the TF approximation since the electrons will all be at the Fermi level and so the wavenumber of the scattered electrons will equal that of the fermi wavevector. However I have seen the TF used for graphene particularly, so how is that a valid assumption?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the potential of a static charge (a Coulomb potential in vacuum). Although it is static, the Fourier transform of the spatial distibution will contain all values of k.
The distinctive point with respect to photons is that you need a source for a Coulomb potential while photons are source free solutions of the Maxwell equations. The latter are only possible for special relations (dispersion) of k on omega.

As regards to question 2 I suppose (although I am not sure) that it is sufficient in scattering that the change in wavenumber is much smaller than the Fermi wavenumber.

What is the Thomas-Fermi approximation?

The Thomas-Fermi approximation is a mathematical model used to describe the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. It was developed by Llewellyn Thomas and Enrico Fermi in the 1920s and is based on the idea that the electrons in an atom or molecule are confined to a certain region of space, and their behavior can be described by a single wavefunction.

How does the Thomas-Fermi approximation work?

The Thomas-Fermi approximation works by assuming that the electron density distribution in an atom or molecule is smooth and continuous. This allows for the use of simpler mathematical equations to describe the electron behavior, rather than solving the more complex Schrödinger equation.

What is the dielectric function?

The dielectric function is a mathematical quantity that describes the response of a material to an external electric field. It is a complex number that takes into account both the polarizability and the conductivity of the material. It is an important concept in the study of electromagnetism and is used to understand the behavior of materials in electric and optical fields.

How is the dielectric function related to the Thomas-Fermi approximation?

The Thomas-Fermi approximation can be used to calculate the electronic polarizability of a material, which is one of the components of the dielectric function. However, the approximation is not accurate enough to account for the conductivity of a material, so it is often combined with other models to calculate the dielectric function.

What are the limitations of the Thomas-Fermi approximation?

The Thomas-Fermi approximation is a simple model that neglects many important effects, such as electron-electron interactions and quantum tunneling. As a result, it is only accurate for certain types of materials and in certain conditions. It is not suitable for studying highly correlated systems or materials with strong electron-electron interactions.