What is the physical meaning of the Thomas-Fermi vector?

In summary: The Thomas-Fermi wavevector relates to the damping of an electric field caused by build up of carriers around an impurity (screening). But I can't understand it's physical meaning.""The Thomas-Fermi wavevector relates to the damping of an electric field caused by build up of carriers around an impurity (screening). It is conventionally denoted by the letter `W`. It has the following physical interpretation: If the wavevector is much smaller than the fermi wavevector, then screening will limit the intensity of the electric field at long distances. This is because the electric field will be damped by the collection of carriers around the impurity. The wavevector is
rwooduk
The Thomas-Fermi wavevector relates to the damping of an electric field caused by build up of carriers around an impurity (screening). But I can't understand it's physical meaning.

Wiki states "Thomas–Fermi screening is the limit of the Lindhard formula when the wavevector (the reciprocal of the length-scale of interest) is much smaller than the fermi wavevector, i.e. the long-distance limit."

So it applies when the wave vector is much smaller than the fermi wavevector, but I'm trying to visualise a physical meaning of what the Thomas-Fermi wavevector actually is.

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

I suppose with "wiki" you don't mean "wiki, the viking" but are referring to this entry in wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas–Fermi_screening
Did you check already the source cited, i.e. the book by Ashcroft and Mermin?
You probably would generate more answers if you wouldn't leave it to the readers to figure out what you may talk about.

Basically, ##2\pi/k_0## is the characteristic length over which a static perturbation is screened in a metal.

DrDu said:
I suppose with "wiki" you don't mean "wiki, the viking" but are referring to this entry in wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas–Fermi_screening
Did you check already the source cited, i.e. the book by Ashcroft and Mermin?
You probably would generate more answers if you wouldn't leave it to the readers to figure out what you may talk about.

Basically, ##2\pi/k_0## is the characteristic length over which a static perturbation is screened in a metal.

Lol, I remember that show, ey, hey, Wickie hey, Wickie, hey!

Anyhow thanks for the tip, I managed to find a copy of the book and read the section on the wavevector and the following underlined parts I guess are physical interpretations, aside from these its mostly derivation.

oGMa0pk.jpg

What is the physical meaning of the Thomas-Fermi vector?

The Thomas-Fermi vector is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the density of electrons in a system. It is a function of position and represents the average position of electrons in a given volume.

How is the Thomas-Fermi vector related to the Thomas-Fermi model?

The Thomas-Fermi model is a simplified approach to solving the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics. The Thomas-Fermi vector is a key component of this model and is used to calculate the electron density in a system.

What is the significance of the Thomas-Fermi vector in electronic structure calculations?

In electronic structure calculations, the Thomas-Fermi vector is used to determine the electron density in a system. This information is essential in understanding the electronic properties and behavior of materials.

How does the Thomas-Fermi vector differ from the Hartree-Fock vector?

The Thomas-Fermi vector is a simpler and more approximate solution to the Schrödinger equation compared to the Hartree-Fock vector. The Hartree-Fock vector takes into account the interactions between electrons, while the Thomas-Fermi vector assumes that all electrons are independent of each other.

What are the limitations of the Thomas-Fermi vector?

The Thomas-Fermi vector is limited in its accuracy and can only be applied to systems with a large number of electrons. It also does not take into account quantum effects, such as electron spin, and is not suitable for describing systems with strong electron-electron interactions.