Those darn car on a slope problems

• Thread starter Merlynshade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Slope
In summary, this person is looking for help with a physics question that has a lot of algebra and vectors involved. They are having a difficult time finding a good source of help, and are grateful when someone points them in the right direction.
Merlynshade
:cry:

I need a bit of help finding a good source to use to help solve these problems. I am taking a test that is 20% physics (20% chem and the rest are life sciences) and I have not taken physics in over five years. I've been browsing through the internet for over two hours now and the best that I can find are lesson plans for teachers, but nothing that helps me get the basics of these types of problems. Tis very frustrating.

I would like some help either with what kind of formulas that I need to solve this type of problem or a place, either on this forum or out on the web, that can help me better understand what I am to do.

I'm not asking for anyone to solve homework for me, as I've already graduated from college, have no homework and am simply trying to understand a question in a certification exam. I may be making to much out of something really simple, but I'm getting very frustrated with this problem.

Homework Statement

First there is a picture of a ramp, 1.5m off the ground that ends in a loop that has a maximum height of 0.5m.

"A toy car is released at the top of the track shown above. The car goes down the slope and through the loop-de-loop. Negating friction, what is the speed of the car at the top of the loop?"

Homework Equations

I don't know! is this ultimately a vector problem or is it something far more complicated?

The Attempt at a Solution

(see explanation above)

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest approach to these problems is almost always conservation of energy.
What is the formula for potential energy and kinetic energy (hint wikipedia)
Remember energy is conserved - you must always have the same total of potential+kinetic at each position.

And yet, that seems to be my problem because for each formula for both kinetic and potential energy that I find I have to have the mass of the object, and yet the question mentions nowhere in it the mass of the toy car. This is what I keep bumping into while trying to find an answer to this problem.

If all the equations need the mass and one equation is equal to another, this gives you a bit of a clue about how to do it.

(potential + kinetic) at start = (potential + kinetic) at top of loop.

thus potential energy is found by m*g*h and kinetic is .5*m*v^2 (velocity squared). Correct?

Or do I use this other formula for Kinetic? E=p^2/2m ?

where p is the momentum?

I'm sorry for being dense I am trying to pull this all in.

bu tI ended up getting:

(x*9.8*1.5)+ (.5*y^2) = (x*9.8*0.5)+ (.5*y^2)

and that ends up zeroing out to 14.7x=4.9x and I know that that is not right!

*gasp* I got it! All the formulas having no mass means I can kick that part out.

The velocity at the start is zero (why didn't I think of that earlier?!)

Thus it becomes:

(9.8*1.5) + (.5 (0^2)) = (9.8*0.5) + (.5 (v^2))

14.7 = 4.9 + .5*v^2

9.8 = v^2 and thus v=4.4

And according to the answer key that's the right answer.

*happy dance*

Thank you so very much for pointing me in the right direction! I'm in such a tizzy over taking this test that I'm over thinking things way too much!

Thank you again!

Since momentum p=mv you will see that the two equations for KE are the same, but stick with e = 0.5 mv^2 for now.

We have ( remember no ke at start )
0 + mg*1.5 = 0.5mv^2 + mg*0.5
mg*1= 0.5mv^2 the m cancels
2*g*1 = v^2 note the one metre
so v=sqrt(2*9.8)

Another tip for this kind of problem is check the units, here we end up with sqrt(accelaration*distance) which is m/s^2 * m = m^2/s^2 when you take the sqrt you end up with m/s which is what you want.
If this isn't clear remember that the 2*g is multiplied by 1metre.

Your not being dense, we just try not to give people the answer straight away - but sometimes it is difficult to give useful hints.

Related to Those darn car on a slope problems

What is the cause of cars rolling down slopes?

The main cause of cars rolling down slopes is gravity. When a car is parked on a slope, gravity pulls it downhill, causing it to roll.

How can you prevent a car from rolling down a slope?

One way to prevent a car from rolling down a slope is to engage the parking brake. This will prevent the wheels from moving and keep the car in place.

Why do some cars roll down slopes even when the parking brake is engaged?

Some cars may still roll down slopes even when the parking brake is engaged due to mechanical issues with the brake system or if the slope is too steep.

Are there any other factors that can contribute to cars rolling down slopes?

Yes, other factors such as strong winds, slick road conditions, or faulty parking mechanisms can also contribute to cars rolling down slopes.

What are some safety precautions to take when parking on a slope?

To ensure safety when parking on a slope, it is important to always engage the parking brake, turn the wheels towards the curb (if parked downhill), and avoid parking on steep slopes whenever possible.