Thoughts on Cornell's Applied and Engineering Physics

In summary: I can't ever recall a physicist that I've known that was heavy on, for example, classical mechanics. But maybe that has changed too; what do I know?
Kevin Davis
I've been accepted to Cornell Engineering, and am thinking about doing AEP. I really like physics and math and was just wondering what people thought of it. Yeah I know I should ask people at Cornell, but they're just going to tell me that it's awesome and I should do it. I want to get a more objective opinion. What's the reputation of the program? I know it's Cornell, but specifically is the AEP department well known? Also it seems insanely hard- I've seen their semester course schedule. I would have to do Math Phys, Quantum Mech, Classical Dynamics, and another engineering course in one semester. My mother has a PhD in Physics, and she says a lot of the courses are stuff she learned in grad school (although her opinion is not a very big factor)

Physics news on Phys.org
Shame on you, Kevin. Don't ever dis your mother!

Personally, I would recommend one of the conventional engineering programs at Cornell. Do not think that because the label says "engineering" you will not be studying physics. Most of engineering is simply applied physics. What you will likely not get in a conventional engineering program will be things like quantum mechanics (maybe in EE), cosmology, string theory, astronomy.

One of the perks of Cornell is its interdisciplinary study - many of the AEP students here do work with professors in biomedical, electrical, computer, and chemical engineering despite technically having an applied physics degree; it's designed this way - AEP is in the college of engineering, and not in the college of arts and sciences. On the other hand, many AEP students work in labs which lean more towards theory (the lab I work in is exactly 50/50 AEP/physics students). If you aren't sure whether you want to work in a classical engineering field, I'd recommend AEP; otherwise, Cornell's engineering program is one of the best in the nation so consider Dr. D's advice above.

Since I came to Cornell with a less-than-stellar undergrad background, I am currently taking undergrad-level courses in the AEP and physics department (which one depends more on scheduling than any other factor). The courses I have experience with (math phys, quantum) have very high expectations for students, but the teaching level adapts accordingly - the professors I've encountered here at Cornell are exceptional.

I think the applied physics program at Cornell is one of the top along with Caltech, Harvard, and Stanford. If you are interested in materials, I think Cornell has one of, if not the best clean room in the country.

Dr.D said:
What you will likely not get in a conventional engineering program will be things like quantum mechanics (maybe in EE), cosmology, string theory, astronomy.

That is not the entire spectrum of what physicists study.

clope023 said:
That is not the entire spectrum of what physicists study.

I should certainly hope this is correct. However, my point is that if the OP is seeking to include these areas of study, he should probably go straight physics. They simply will not appear in any sort of engineering oriented curriculum.

Dr.D said:
I should certainly hope this is correct. However, my point is that if the OP is seeking to include these areas of study, he should probably go straight physics. They simply will not appear in any sort of engineering oriented curriculum.

You mentioned strings, cosmology, and astrophysics, not the OP; just because an engineer wants their engineering to be more physics heavy does not mean that they want their engineering to come with theoretical astro-particle cosmology. Applied/Engineering physics programs generally ARE engineering programs that exist at the interplay between science and application and are more theoretically oriented.

You win! What do I know?

Long, long ago, when I was in school, if someone spoke of physics in the broad, undifferentiated sense, it might be expected to include several (not necessarily all) of the topics I mentioned. Perhaps those are no longer a part of physics; I really would not know.

I can't ever recall a physicist that I've known that was heavy on, for example, classical mechanics. But maybe that has changed too; what do I know?

1. What is the difference between Applied Physics and Engineering Physics?

Applied Physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the practical application of scientific principles to solve real-world problems. Engineering Physics, on the other hand, combines the principles of physics with engineering to develop new technologies and devices.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates of Cornell's Applied and Engineering Physics program?

Cornell's Applied and Engineering Physics program prepares students for a wide range of careers, including research and development, product development, consulting, and teaching. Graduates also have opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, energy, and materials science.

3. How is the curriculum structured for the Applied and Engineering Physics program at Cornell?

The curriculum at Cornell's Applied and Engineering Physics program is designed to provide a strong foundation in both physics and engineering principles. Students take courses in areas such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, as well as engineering topics such as materials science and thermodynamics.

4. Are there opportunities for undergraduate research in Cornell's Applied and Engineering Physics program?

Yes, there are many opportunities for undergraduate research in Cornell's Applied and Engineering Physics program. Students can work with faculty on cutting-edge research projects in areas such as nanotechnology, renewable energy, and quantum computing.

5. How does Cornell's Applied and Engineering Physics program prepare students for graduate studies?

Cornell's Applied and Engineering Physics program provides students with a strong foundation in both physics and engineering principles, as well as hands-on research experience. This prepares students for graduate studies in physics, engineering, and related fields, as well as for careers in research and development.