Thread Bumping: Is it Beneficial or Disadvantageous?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the practice of thread bumping, which is when a user makes a non-substantive post in order to move a thread to the top of the thread list. The benefits of this practice include showing continued interest in a question and allowing new users to see the thread. However, the disadvantages include wasting server memory and crowding out new threads. The conversation also mentions that there is currently no explicit policy on thread bumping, but it is generally allowed to bump a thread once every 24 hours. The conversation concludes with a reminder to address any further questions or concerns about specific cases with the mentors and a note that the thread is now closed for discussion.
ehrenfest
I recently got an infraction for thread bumping. By thread bumping I mean making a post that says something non-substantive like "anyone?" just in order to move the thread to the top of the thread list. I have bumped threads probably a hundred times since I joined here and had never received an infraction before. I am not angry about the infraction, I am just pointing out that PF should decide one way or the other and put their decision in their guidelines for new members to read.

The benefit is that the OP can show that she is still interested in the question and allow new people to read the thread. I think a lot of people just look at the most recent threads and since the posting rate in the homework help section is so high this means that someone who might know the answer might not see your thread. Also, someone might get an insight the second time they look at your problem which they might not do if it fell to far in the list.

The disadvantages of this practice are of course that it wastes memory on the PF server just for like one-word threads and it can crowd out new threads.

Again, I am not angry about my infraction, I just think that PF should explicitly articulate a policy on this and be consistent about enforcing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
robphy said:

So is thread bumping allowed or is it not allowed? It seemed like they concluded that it was at the link but then I got an infraction for it. Someone just make a definitive statement about it here.

As Greg has said, one bump is allowable, but wait at least 24 hours before you bump it. Posting a request for help doesn't guarantee that anyone will be available to help. People that help out in Homework Help do it out of the kindness of their hearts, they are not compensated.

You can feel free to PM a Homework Help mentor if your thread has no views. But if your thread has had plenty of views and no responses, you might not get any help.

We are working on guidelines, but right now, only one bump is allowed.

ehrenfest said:
So is thread bumping allowed or is it not allowed? It seemed like they concluded that it was at the link but then I got an infraction for it. Someone just make a definitive statement about it here.

GregB said in that thread that one bump was okay, but no more. How many times did you bump the thread where you got the infraction?

Also, note this sticky thread that is posted at the top of every homework help forum.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94384

Yes thank you. I only bumped once in the thread where I got the infraction. The person who gave me the infraction just told me "The staff are looking ito this."

ehrenfest said:
Yes thank you. I only bumped once in the thread where I got the infraction. The person who gave me the infraction just told me "The staff are looking ito this."

In case you were unaware, the staff can see the deleted posts in the thread in question.

With that, I think you have your answer as it pertains to general guidelines. Any further questions on your specific case should be addressed via private message with the mentors. This thread is now closed for discussion.

1. What is thread bumping?

Thread bumping is the act of posting on a forum or discussion thread in order to bring it back to the top of the page or recent activity list. This is typically done by replying to the thread with a new comment or question.

2. Is thread bumping beneficial?

The answer to this question depends on the specific circumstances and goals of the forum or discussion. In some cases, bumping a thread can be helpful in keeping the conversation going and increasing engagement. It can also bring attention to important or unanswered questions. However, in other cases, bumping a thread too frequently or without adding meaningful content can be seen as spammy or annoying.

3. What are the disadvantages of thread bumping?

One major disadvantage of thread bumping is that it can push down newer or more relevant discussions and make it harder for users to find them. It can also be seen as a form of self-promotion if the bump is done excessively or without adding value to the conversation. Additionally, it can be frustrating for users who are subscribed to a thread and receive notifications every time it is bumped without any new information.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for thread bumping?

Many forums and discussion boards have specific rules or guidelines regarding thread bumping. These may include limits on how often a thread can be bumped, requirements for adding new and relevant information, and consequences for excessive or inappropriate bumping. It is important to familiarize oneself with these rules before participating in any forum or discussion.

5. How can thread bumping be used effectively?

Thread bumping can be used effectively by adding new and valuable content to the discussion, such as new information, insights, or questions. It can also be helpful to wait for a significant amount of time to pass before bumping a thread, rather than doing it too frequently. Additionally, it is important to consider the community and purpose of the forum before bumping a thread, and to use this tactic sparingly and strategically.