Thread Pressure - Thread Stripping

cmarentes89
TL;DR Summary
At what forces and thread engagement will my threads shear or strip.
Hello all,

So I've attached two images, one is the spread-sheet that I'm working on and the other is an image of the formulas that I'm using. I'm a bit confused on how length of engagement works for those formulas. So for 3 1/4-8UN-2A threads, with a shear strength of 44.5 KSI, the minimum length of engagement should be about 2.68 inches. From that, I understand that my engagement length should be 2.68 inches to avoid any thread stripping and/or shearing. But what if I use 1.00 inches of thread engagement engagement? The formulas shows that it would not strip when I compare the forces required and actual to strip the threads.... My ultimate goal is to determine a shear safety of factor and the minimum length of engagement at any applied pressure.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 69
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 62
Engineering news on Phys.org
cmarentes89 said:
From that, I understand that my engagement length should be 2.68 inches to avoid any thread stripping and/or shearing. But what if I use 1.00 inches of thread engagement?
Then, on some occasion the thread may strip, and you would, if you survived, be questioned by the coroner.

The formulas have a tolerance allowance for imperfections.

The length of the nut, or engagement, determines the area of thread in pressure contact and in shear. The tensile strength of the threaded portion of the bolt, must be balanced against the shear strength of the thread.

The formulas appear to be not specific to the material.
The ratio of shear strength to tensile strength in the material used, will be an important parameter.

Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
Then, on some occasion the thread may strip, and you would, if you survived, be questioned by the coroner.

The formulas have a tolerance allowance for imperfections.

The length of the nut, or engagement, determines the area of thread in pressure contact and in shear. The tensile strength of the threaded portion of the bolt, must be balanced against the shear strength of the thread.

The formulas appear to be not specific to the material.
The ratio of shear strength to tensile strength in the material used, will be an important parameter.
Would definitely would never try it in real life lol.

I see, but in a ratio comparison, wont my shear strength to tensile strength always be the same? 1/2 of the tensile strength?

Baluncore said:
Not always, shear strength of steel is usually between 60% and 70% of tensile strength, other materials may differ.
Cast iron may range from 0.55 to 1.25 .
https://www.engineersedge.com/materials/material_tensile_shear_and_yield_strength_15798.htm
Thank you so much for the data, it will be very helpful. So I guess my question is, I'm I looking at the wrong formulas for what I'm trying to accomplish?

I figured my material shear strength multiplied by my shear area would have give me my actual force on threads. Then compare that to my actual loading pressure multiplied by my shear area again would give me a factor of safety based on shear. But in this method, all I would have to compare is my material shear strength to my actual loading pressure.... which eliminates the shear area, so this doesn't seem right.

Likes jim mcnamara

What is thread pressure?

Thread pressure refers to the amount of force or stress that is applied to a threaded connection, such as a screw or bolt. This pressure is important to consider in order to ensure the integrity and strength of the connection.

What is thread stripping?

Thread stripping occurs when the threads of a connection become damaged or worn down, resulting in a weakened or failed connection. This can happen due to excessive thread pressure or other factors such as corrosion or improper installation.

What are the consequences of thread stripping?

The consequences of thread stripping can vary depending on the situation, but they can include a loss of structural integrity, decreased functionality, and potential safety hazards. In some cases, thread stripping can also lead to costly repairs or replacements.

How can thread stripping be prevented?

Thread stripping can be prevented by using the appropriate thread size and type for the application, avoiding excessive thread pressure, and properly lubricating the threads. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain threaded connections to identify and address any potential issues before they become more serious.

What are some methods for measuring thread pressure?

There are several methods for measuring thread pressure, including using a torque wrench, a strain gauge, or a load cell. These tools can provide accurate measurements of the force being applied to a threaded connection, allowing for proper adjustments to be made to prevent thread stripping.