How to calculate how many threads I can use?

• Thread starter perky416
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Threads
In summary, you need to calculate the thread engagement length using the following formula: The first 6 threads take all the load, but if you use a stronger material for the fitting, say 303 stainless steel, you can get away with less threads.
perky416
Hi guys,

Here is my problem / task: I have a 232 bar pressure cylinder (not sue what material it is made from) with a brass fill valve at one end. I am trying to design a new shorter valve so that it takes up less space inside the cylinder, and thus increasing the capacity.

How would I calculate the minimum amount of threads I need to use before the pressure causes the thread to strip and the fitting comes flying out the end of the cylinder?

The original fitting has a thread engagement length of 10mm or 0.393 inches and uses an M25 x 1.0mm pitch thread. I have tried to use the following formula however it gives me an answer of 0.92904 inch / 23.59mm which is over twice the amount of the original fitting.

8212b2cbeee0f758dee2dd0138efce77.png

I understand that the first 6 threads take all the load, but If i use a stronger material for the fitting, say 303 stainless steel, can I get away with less threads?

I am trying to get the thread engagement length down to 5mm however I just don't know how to calculate it.

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the actual tension load on the bolt?

If you don't know the pressure cylinder material then changing from brass to steel bolts won't guarantee anything.

Hi,
I have no idea what tension load is, the first time I have ever dealt with designing threads.

The cylinder is some sort of hardened steel, possibly a form of gun steel, although there is no way I can know for sure. The cylinder threads can easily take the pressure its the threads on the fitting that I am unsure about.

How do you know the cylinder threads can easily take the pressure?

This sounds pretty dangerous. What is your background (education and design experience)? Why were you assigned this task if you have no experience with this sort of thing?

How do you know the cylinder threads can easily take the pressure?
Because that's the pressure it currently runs at :s, its an already made pressure cyclinder on a product...all I am doing is trying to increase the capacity.

This sounds pretty dangerous. What is your background (education and design experience)? Why were you assigned this task if you have no experience with this sort of thing?
I wasnt assigned it its a personal project. My experience is aerospace/electronics/manufacturing engineering/machining/mechanics.

Im not some dum secondary school kid that knows nothing about engineering, I am just trying to do something and seeking a bit of help.

Someone an a different engineering forum has explained what i need to do...what i need to take into account and given me the formulas with good explanations.

I never claimed you were dum [sic]. The PF rules prohibit dangerous discussions, and depending on your background and level of experience, what you are asking about can be dangerous. Hope the advice you got was good -- please be careful and stay safe.

1. How do I determine the optimum number of threads for my program?

To calculate the ideal number of threads for your program, you need to consider the number of available cores on your processor and the type of tasks that need to be performed. A general rule of thumb is to have one thread per core, but this can vary depending on the complexity of your program.

2. What is the relationship between the number of threads and performance?

The relationship between the number of threads and performance is not always straightforward. Having too few threads can lead to underutilization of resources, while having too many threads can cause overhead and decrease performance. It is important to find the right balance for your specific program.

3. How does the type of task affect the number of threads needed?

The type of task can have a significant impact on the number of threads needed. For example, tasks that involve a lot of computation may benefit from having more threads, while tasks that involve a lot of I/O operations may not see as much improvement with additional threads.

4. Are there any tools or methods to help determine the optimal number of threads?

There are various tools and methods that can help you determine the optimal number of threads for your program. Some programming languages have built-in libraries for thread management, and there are also performance analysis tools that can help you identify bottlenecks and determine the best number of threads for your program.

5. Can I change the number of threads while the program is running?

In most cases, it is not recommended to change the number of threads while the program is running. This can cause unexpected behavior and may lead to errors or crashes. It is best to determine the optimal number of threads before running the program and stick to that number.