Three gauge boson Yang-Mills vertex

In summary: This is where I'm stuck: I know that the derivative of the field will make the momenta appear in the expression. The problem is that I do not understand which gauge field momentum appears from which derivative, and how to go from this expression to the answer, which is$$ g f^{abc} \left[ g^{\mu \nu} (k-p)^\rho + g^{\nu \rho} (p-q)^\mu + g^{\rho \mu} (q-k)^\nu \right] $$where the momenta and indices are taken according to the attached diagram.If you have a good understanding of the structure constants, you can
takunitoche
Homework Statement
Derive the Feynman rules for the three gauge boson vertex in Yang Mills theories
Relevant Equations
$$\mathcal{L}_{YM} \supset g \,f^{ijk}A_{\mu}{}^{(j)} A_{\nu}{}^{(k)} \partial^{\mu} A^{\nu}{}^{(i)} $$
Hello everyone,

I am stuck in deriving the three gauge-boson-vertex in Yang-Mills theories. The relevant interaction term in the Lagrangian is

$$\mathcal{L}_{YM} \supset g \,f^{ijk}A_{\mu}{}^{(j)} A_{\nu}{}^{(k)} \partial^{\mu} A^{\nu}{}^{(i)} $$

I have rewritten this term using the total asymmetry of the structure constants:

$$\mathcal{L}_{YM} \supset \dfrac{g}{6} f^{ijk} \left[ A_{\mu}{}^{(j)} A_{\nu}{}^{(k)} (\partial^{\mu} A^{\nu}{}^{(i)} - \partial^{\nu} A^{\mu}{}^{(i)}) + A_{\mu}{}^{(i)} A_{\nu}{}^{(k)} (\partial^{\mu} A^{\nu}{}^{(j)} - \partial^{\nu} A^{\mu}{}^{(j)}) + A_{\mu}{}^{(k)} A_{\nu}{}^{(i)} (\partial^{\mu} A^{\nu}{}^{(j)} - \partial^{\nu} A^{\mu}{}^{(j)})\right] $$Now consider the following diagram (from Peskin & Schroeder, section 16.1):
pfdiag.png

This is where I'm stuck: I know that the derivative of the field will make the momenta appear in the expression. The problem is that I do not understand which gauge field momentum appears from which derivative, and how to go from this expression to the answer, which is

$$ g f^{abc} \left[ g^{\mu \nu} (k-p)^\rho + g^{\nu \rho} (p-q)^\mu + g^{\rho \mu} (q-k)^\nu \right] $$

where the momenta and indices are taken according to the attached diagram.

Huge thanks for any help you might bring!

Physics news on Phys.org
A OPThe momenta appearing in the expression come from the derivatives of the gauge fields. For example, if you take the derivative of $A_\mu^{(i)}$ in the first term, you will get a momentum associated with it, namely $(k-p)^\mu$. Similarly, taking the derivatives of $A_\nu^{(j)}$ and $A_\rho^{(k)}$ will give you $(p-q)^\nu$ and $(q-k)^\rho$, respectively.Then, using the properties of the structure constants, namely $f^{ijk}=-f^{ikj}=-f^{jik}$ and $f^{ijk}=f^{jki}$, one can rewrite the expression in the form given in the question.

1. What is a gauge boson?

A gauge boson is a type of fundamental particle that is responsible for mediating the interactions between other particles, such as quarks and electrons. Examples of gauge bosons include photons, which mediate the electromagnetic force, and gluons, which mediate the strong nuclear force.

2. What is the Yang-Mills theory?

The Yang-Mills theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the interactions between gauge bosons and other particles. It is based on a set of equations that describe the behavior of gauge bosons and their interactions with matter particles.

3. What is a three gauge boson Yang-Mills vertex?

A three gauge boson Yang-Mills vertex is a specific type of interaction between three gauge bosons. It is represented by a mathematical formula that describes the probability of three gauge bosons interacting with each other at a given point in space and time.

4. What is the significance of the three gauge boson Yang-Mills vertex?

The three gauge boson Yang-Mills vertex is important because it helps us understand the fundamental forces of nature and how they interact with matter particles. It is also a key component of the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the known particles and their interactions.

5. How is the three gauge boson Yang-Mills vertex studied?

The three gauge boson Yang-Mills vertex is studied using theoretical calculations and experimental data. The equations of the Yang-Mills theory can be solved to predict the behavior of the vertex, and experiments at particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider can provide data to test these predictions.