Three independent random variables having Normal distribution

In summary, the logical or not logic question asked for the student to find a match between an answer and the possible answers. However, because the student did not write the exam, he or she was not able to do so.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
Let ##X_1 X_2 X_3 ## be three independent random variables having Normal(Gaussian ) distribution, all with mean ##\mu##=20 and variance ##\sigma^2##=9. Also let ##S=X_1+ X_2 +X_3## and let ##N## be the number of the ##X_i## assuming values greater than 25.
Relevant Equations
Probability
Let ##X_1 X_2 X_3 ## be three independent random variables having Normal(Gaussian ) distribution, all with mean ##\mu##=20 and variance ##\sigma^2##=9. Also let ##S=X_1+ X_2 +X_3## and let ##N## be the number of the ##X_i## assuming values greater than 25.

##E\left[N\right]##=?

I did not understand how to proceed also in the evaluation of the Probability P[N>25]

Physics news on Phys.org
Should I consider that the total number of ##X_i## is 3, so, among these three random variables i have to check how many of them will satisfy the condition of being larger than ##25##?
in such way ##N## is a binomial distribution. with first parameter## = 3## (because the set of random variables is finite and is equal to ##3##) the second parameter can be found solving:

##p= P\left[X_i>25\right]=P\left[Z>\frac {25-\mu}{\sigma}\right]=P\left[Z>1,66\right]=1-P\left[Z<1,66\right]= 1-0,9515= 0,05##

now i have all the parameters
##N\sim Bin(n=3, p=0,05)##

So

##E\left[N \right]##= ##n*p##=3*0,05

Looks good except ##1-0.9515 = 0.0485## not 0.05.

vela said:
Looks good except ##1-0.9515 = 0.0485## not 0.05.
rounding at two digits

I figured, but there's no good reason to. Also, if you're going to round, it's generally best to do that as a last step, not in the middle of a calculation where the error introduced by rounding will propagate forward.

vela said:
I figured, but there's no good reason to. Also, if you're going to round, it's generally best to do that as a last step, not in the middle of a calculation where the error introduced by rounding will propagate forward.
I agree with you but it was explicitly requested in the text, wasn't my choice. other way there would be no match with the possible answers.

DottZakapa said:
I agree with you but it was explicitly requested in the text, wasn't my choice. other way there would be no match with the possible answers.
That is illogical.
@vela is saying you should have written 3*0.0485=0.1455 and then rounded to 0.15. As it happens, it would have made no difference, but suppose p had had the value 0.0475 instead. Your way you would still have got 0.15, but found no match in the offered answers because you should have got 0.14.

haruspex said:
That is illogical.
@vela is saying you should have written 3*0.0485=0.1455 and then rounded to 0.15. As it happens, it would have made no difference, but suppose p had had the value 0.0475 instead. Your way you would still have got 0.15, but found no match in the offered answers because you should have got 0.14.

In the following, the screenshot of the exam paper, logical or not logica, I did not write the exam.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 16.21.43.png

1. What is the definition of three independent random variables having Normal distribution?

The Normal distribution is a probability distribution that is often used to model continuous variables. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is symmetric around its mean. Three independent random variables having Normal distribution means that each variable follows a Normal distribution and is not influenced by the other two variables.

2. How are the mean and standard deviation of three independent random variables with Normal distribution related?

The mean of a Normal distribution represents the center of the distribution, while the standard deviation measures the spread of the data. For three independent random variables with Normal distribution, the mean and standard deviation of each variable are independent of each other and do not affect the other variables.

3. Can three independent random variables with Normal distribution have different means and standard deviations?

Yes, three independent random variables with Normal distribution can have different means and standard deviations. This is because each variable is independent and can have its own unique characteristics.

4. How does the Central Limit Theorem apply to three independent random variables with Normal distribution?

The Central Limit Theorem states that the sum of a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables will follow a Normal distribution. In the case of three independent random variables with Normal distribution, the sum of these variables will also follow a Normal distribution.

5. What are some real-world examples of three independent random variables with Normal distribution?

Three independent random variables with Normal distribution can be observed in many natural phenomena, such as the heights of individuals in a population, the weights of objects, or the scores on a standardized test. They can also be used in financial modeling, such as predicting stock prices or interest rates.