Finding the Ratio of Particles in a Three-Level Quantum System

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of the number of particles on the upper energy level to the total number in an isolated system with three energy states. The system's temperature is defined in terms of its energy and the problem involves optimizing the system's entropy to find the distribution of particles at statistical equilibrium. The use of Lagrange multipliers and Stirling's approximation are suggested to solve the constrained problem. The Lagrange multiplier from the constraint on energy is essential for the solution.
AlexTab
Summary:: Find the ratio of the number of particles on the upper level to the total number in the system.

Consider an isolated system of ##N \gg 1## weakly interacting, distinct particles. Each particle can be in one of three states, with energies ##- \varepsilon_0##, ##0## and ##\varepsilon_0##. The energy of entire system is ##E##.

The temperature is defined as ##\displaystyle T = \frac{\partial S}{\partial E}##.

I need to find the ratio of the number of particles on the level with ##\varepsilon_0## to the total number ##N## in low temperature conditions ##T \ll \varepsilon_0##.I start with finding the statistical weight of each state of the system as ##\displaystyle W = \frac{N!}{n_{-\varepsilon_0}! n_0! n_{\varepsilon_0}!}##, where ##n_{-\varepsilon_0}##, ##n_0## and ##n_{\varepsilon_0}## are the numbers of particles in the corresponding states. Then I can find the system entropy ##S = \ln W##.

Obviously, the number of particles at each next level is much lower than at the previous one.

It seems to me that the above should be enough to solve the problem, but I don't understand how to use these facts. Also there is a problem with the number of particles, because we don't know ##n_{-\varepsilon_0}## and ##n_{\varepsilon_0}##, only ##N## and ##\displaystyle n_{\varepsilon_0} -n_{-\varepsilon_0} = \frac{E}{\varepsilon_0}## are given.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me like this problem is having you re-invent the wheel, because what you're doing right now is deriving the canonical ensemble from stat mech.

Note that each tuple ##(n_+,n_0,n_-)## is one way of dividing the ##N## particles into the 3 energy levels, so let's call it a "distribution". You have a function for the entropy ##S = \ln W## that spits out the entropy associated with each distribution. If you leave an isolated system to do its thing for a while, what do you think the entropy of the system will do over time? If you wait until the system reaches steady state, do you think the entropy will be maximum or minimum?

I've already kind of spoiled the fact that you'll want to do an optimization procedure on the entropy to get the distribution ##(n_+,n_0,n_-)## at statistical equilibrium. Keep in mind that this is a constrained problem, since ##N## and ##E## are fixed. So you'll want to think about Lagrange multipliers. Also, you'll want to use Stirling's approximation a lot.

I hope that's helpful!

Edit: One more hint, the Langrange multiplier that you will get from the constraint on N can be ignored for this problem. In general, this Lagrange multiplier is the chemical potential from thermodynamics. It only matters when the particle number is allowed to vary. On the other hand, the Lagrange multiplier that comes from the constraint on E is essential. You'll see why when you solve for it.

Last edited:
Likes AlexTab

1. What is a three-level quantum system?

A three-level quantum system is a physical system that has three distinct energy levels. In quantum mechanics, energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. These energy levels are represented by quantum states, which are described by wave functions.

2. How does a three-level quantum system differ from a two-level system?

A three-level quantum system has one more energy level than a two-level system. This means that there are more possible transitions between energy levels, leading to a more complex energy spectrum. Additionally, three-level systems can exhibit more complex quantum phenomena, such as quantum interference and entanglement.

3. What are some examples of three-level quantum systems?

Some examples of three-level quantum systems include atoms with three energy levels, such as the hydrogen atom, and solid-state systems like quantum dots and superconducting qubits. These systems are of interest in quantum computing and quantum information processing.

4. How is a three-level quantum system manipulated?

A three-level quantum system can be manipulated using external fields, such as electric or magnetic fields, or by controlling the environment in which the system is placed. These manipulations can induce transitions between energy levels and change the behavior of the system.

5. What applications does a three-level quantum system have?

Three-level quantum systems have a wide range of applications, including quantum computing, sensing, and communication. They can also be used to study fundamental quantum phenomena and to test the limits of our understanding of quantum mechanics.