Three masses in an elevator accelerating downwards

In summary, the question involves three masses hanging from identical springs in an elevator with a spring constant of 349N/m. The elevator is moving downwards at -3.7m/s and accelerating downwards at -2.5m/s^2. The task is to calculate the magnitude of the net force on the middle mass. After attempting different equations, it is determined that the force by the spring on the middle mass is equal to the sum of the bottom two masses times gravity, which is 156.96N. The final answer is 24N, as the program requires a positive value.
Korrie

Homework Statement

Three masses (m1=3.2, m2=9.6, and m3=6.4) hang from three identical springs in a elevator with a spring constant of 349N/m. The elevator is moving downwards at -3.7m/s and accelerating downwards at
a= -2.5m/s^2.

What is the magnitude of the net force on the middle mass?

Homework Equations

Force(spring)=-kx
F-mg= -ma
F= mg-ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried 9.6(9.81-2.5) and got 70.176 but that is wrong.
So I tried (9.6+6.4)X(9.81-2.5)= 116.96 but that is also wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you are neglecting the spring so far... What force does it exert, and how does that affect the acceleration?

berkeman said:
Looks like you are neglecting the spring so far... What force does it exert, and how does that affect the acceleration?
The force by the spring on the middle mass would the the sum of the bottom two masses time gravity.
The force by the spring would equal (9.6+6.4)(9.81)=156.96N

So to find the magnitude of the force on the middle mass I would take the 70.176N I gotten originally and add them?

Korrie said:
The force by the spring on the middle mass would the the sum of the bottom two masses time gravity.
The force by the spring would equal (9.6+6.4)(9.81)=156.96N

So to find the magnitude of the force on the middle mass I would take the 70.176N I gotten originally and add them?
Oh, I misunderstood the problem. You need to post a diagram of the setup please. Use the UPLOAD button in the lower right up upload a PDF or JPG of the setup. Thanks. Also, if you could show your FBD for each of the 3 masses on that diagram, it would be a help.

berkeman said:
Oh, I misunderstood the problem. You need to post a diagram of the setup please. Use the UPLOAD button in the lower right up upload a PDF or JPG of the setup. Thanks. Also, if you could show your FBD for each of the 3 masses on that diagram, it would be a help.
I'm unsure of my FBD for each of the masses but this is what I drew.

Attachments

• 20171007_155634.jpg
    20171007_155634.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 756
Do we know the acceleration of the middle block?
Do we know the mass of the middle block?
What is the unknown that we want to calculate?
Is there an equation that relates those three quantities?

jbriggs444 said:
Do we know the acceleration of the middle block?
Do we know the mass of the middle block?
What is the unknown that we want to calculate?
Is there an equation tat relates those three quantities?
I tried the acceleration times the middle mass and that was wrong.
F=ma
(9.6kg)(-2.5m/s^2)= -24 N

Korrie said:
I tried the acceleration times the middle mass and that was wrong.
F=ma
(9.6kg)(-2.5m/s^2)= -24 N
That answer is correct.

jbriggs444 said:
That answer is correct.
Thank you, turns out the program wanted positive 24 N.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the force acting on the three masses in an elevator accelerating downwards?

The force acting on the three masses in an elevator accelerating downwards is the force of gravity.

2. How does the acceleration of the elevator affect the three masses inside?

The acceleration of the elevator affects the three masses inside by causing them to experience a force in the opposite direction of the acceleration, known as the pseudo-force.

3. Will the three masses experience the same acceleration as the elevator?

Yes, the three masses will experience the same acceleration as the elevator since they are in the same reference frame.

4. How does the weight of the three masses change in this situation?

The weight of the three masses will appear to increase as the elevator accelerates downwards due to the pseudo-force acting on them.

5. What other factors may affect the behavior of the three masses in this scenario?

The behavior of the three masses may also be affected by any external forces acting on them, such as friction or air resistance, as well as the mass and distribution of the three objects themselves.