Three Pulley - two masses system.

In summary, the given system consists of two masses, m1 and m2, connected by a string that goes over two pulleys and is released from rest. The system is assumed to have no friction, mass-less pulleys, and ideal strings. The goal is to calculate the accelerations of the pulleys. Using constraint equations and F=ma, we can establish three equations, but a fourth equation is needed to solve for the four variables a0, a1, a2, and T. The constant length of the string is a key factor in establishing a relation between the accelerations. While there may be other methods, this is the most straightforward way to solve the problem.
SciencyBoi

Homework Statement

The given system is released from rest. Assuming no friction, mass-less pulleys and ideal strings; calculate the accelerations of the pulleys.
VOekIsH.jpg

Homework Equations

Constraint equations.
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

b9e552fd-9e66-41fb-a8ca-ad8e1c9fb75f
HAz4uxU.jpg
Taking the above assumptions;

And applying constraints to the longer string, we have;

-a1 + a0 + a0 + 2a2 - a0 = 0
=> a0 + 2a2 = a1 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (1)

Now doing force balancing on m1;
m1a1 = T - m1g ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (2)

similary on m2;
m2a2 = m2g - 2T ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (3)

For four variables a0, a1, a2 & T; we only have three equations, but we will neeed four. I'm not sure how to get the fourth.

I would greatly appreciate any hint/help.

Thank You...

Attachments

• VOekIsH.jpg
    VOekIsH.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,278
  • HAz4uxU.jpg
    HAz4uxU.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 669
Likes srecko97
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the relation between a0 and a2 regardful of the highest (the biggest) pulley

Sorry. Never mind! I am not sure any more about my previous comment

haz4uxu-jpg.jpg
How is it possible that 2T force acts on pulley P1 downward, and T acts upward? It is a massless pulley.

Attachments

• haz4uxu-jpg.jpg
    haz4uxu-jpg.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 929
Likes Chestermiller
ehild said:
View attachment 214889How is it possible that 2T force acts on pulley P1 downward, and T acts upward? It is a massless pulley.
I've thought of this;
The upward force is 2T.
Let the downward tension be T'.

Then T' - 2T = 0.a2
which gives us, 2T = T'

SciencyBoi said:
I've thought of this;
The upward force is 2T.

Why? It is the same string, the tension is the same everywhere.

It is not the same string

srecko97 said:
It is not the same string
The roughness of the drawing may be misleading you. It is clearly intended that there is one string from m1, over P1, under P2, over the top pulley and down to the axle of P1. If not, P2 is not really a pulley.

Sorry, I know this is the same rope, but I meant the string between p2 and m2. I see that 2T is written next to this string (between p2 and m2) and I see no problem with this.

srecko97 said:
Sorry, I know this is the same rope, but I meant the string between p2 and m2. I see that 2T is written next to this string (between p2 and m2) and I see no problem with this.
There is no problem with that. Reread post #4. ehild is objecting to the forces shown on P1.
But of course, it does also appear that those forces shown are correct, since it is all one rope.
What is the resolution to this paradox?

(By the way, to answer the given question it is necessary to assume the pulleys do have some very small mass.)

Likes Abhishek kumar
haruspex said:
There is no problem with that. Reread post #4. ehild is objecting to the forces shown on P1.
But of course, it does also appear that those forces shown are correct, since it is all one rope.
What is the resolution to this paradox?

(By the way, to answer the given question it is necessary to assume the pulleys do have some very small mass.)
Length of string is constant on the basis of this we can establish relation between acceleration.is there any other method to establish relation between acceleration?

Abhishek kumar said:
Length of string is constant on the basis of this we can establish relation between acceleration.is there any other method to establish relation between acceleration?
Not sure what you are asking. Are you saying the constant length of string gives one equation, but you do not see how to find a second equation?

haruspex said:
Not sure what you are asking. Are you saying the constant length of string gives one equation, but you do not see how to find a second equation?
No i am saying in constraint motion we can established relation between acceleration. If one displaced say xa other displaced say xb then we establish relation by taking length of string constant. My question is getting same is there amy easier method

Abhishek kumar said:
No i am saying in constraint motion we can established relation between acceleration. If one displaced say xa other displaced say xb then we establish relation by taking length of string constant. My question is getting same is there amy easier method
No, the constant length of string is a key fact, so you must write an equation expressing that.
Still not sure I understand your question.

I think I got it... When we talk about pulley P2;

Then assuming tension T in the longer string, we would have 2T tension in the string connecting m2 and P2.

However, when we do force balancing of P1;

We would have 2T - T = a0 x 0;

Which would give us T = 0;

hence the masses m1 and m2 both are effectively in freefall...

Using equation 1(which is derived from the length of string remaining constant) we will have a0 = 3g.

Thank you everyone... This discussion actually led me to the solution and better concepts...

Likes Jat jat
SciencyBoi said:
I think I got it... When we talk about pulley P2;

Then assuming tension T in the longer string, we would have 2T tension in the string connecting m2 and P2.

However, when we do force balancing of P1;

We would have 2T - T = a0 x 0;

Which would give us T = 0;

hence the masses m1 and m2 both are effectively in freefall...

Using equation 1(which is derived from the length of string remaining constant) we will have a0 = 3g.

Thank you everyone... This discussion actually led me to the solution and better concepts...
Well done. It was a tricky question.

Likes SciencyBoi
Yeah, I see that I was really confused. I wanted to help, but I was probably making this task even harder by writing false comments. Please accept my appologies.

Likes SciencyBoi
srecko97 said:
Yeah, I see that I was really confused. I wanted to help, but I was probably making this task even harder by writing false comments. Please accept my appologies.
No problem. I honestly appreciate that people took interest in this problem that in no way would benefit them. And I would keep appreciating anyone for their participation in any of the posts here or any of the forums posted by anyone as they intend to help. Intentions is what always matters. Thanks everyone again...:smile:

Likes srecko97

1. What is a Three Pulley - two masses system?

A Three Pulley - two masses system is a mechanical system that consists of three pulleys and two masses connected by a rope or string. The pulleys are used to change the direction of the force and the masses are used to measure the weight or force exerted by the system.

2. How does a Three Pulley - two masses system work?

In a Three Pulley - two masses system, the rope or string is passed through the three pulleys in a specific way to create a mechanical advantage. This allows for a smaller force to be applied to lift the two masses. The force applied to one end of the rope is equal to the combined weight of the two masses.

3. What are the applications of a Three Pulley - two masses system?

A Three Pulley - two masses system has many practical applications, including in crane systems, elevators, and weightlifting. It is also commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as mechanical advantage and force balancing.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a Three Pulley - two masses system?

The efficiency of a Three Pulley - two masses system can be affected by factors such as friction in the pulleys and rope, the weight and distribution of the masses, and the angle at which the rope is pulled. A well-lubricated system and a balanced distribution of masses can increase the efficiency of the system.

5. How can a Three Pulley - two masses system be calculated?

A Three Pulley - two masses system can be calculated using the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion. The forces acting on the system, such as the weight of the masses and the tension in the rope, can be calculated to determine the overall force and acceleration of the system. This can be used to analyze the mechanical advantage and efficiency of the system.