Three single phase transformer with different %Z's

In summary, the conversation discusses a three phase circuit with a three-phase transformer bank and a balanced three-phase delta load. The transformers have different percent impedances and the question is how to calculate the three line currents. The main goal is to understand the effects of different transformer impedances on line currents. The solution involves short circuit currents and basic circuit analysis.
JWT
Hello everyone,

I have a three phase circuit that consists of a three-phase transformer bank feeding a balanced three-phase delta load. The transformer bank consists of three single phase transformers connected in delta. Each transformer is rated at 333kVA, 2400V. Two of the transformers have percent impedances of 5.35%, while the third has a percent impedance of 4.04%. Also, each transformer has the same X/R ratio of 4.5 (if that matters), and assume the balanced load is 0 ohms, and the line impedance is 0 ohms.

My question- in this circuit, how would you calculate the three line currents?

I appreciate your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
By the way, this is not a homework question. I just want to see the effects of difference in transformer impedances on the line currents, even if there are nothing but three-phase loads in the facility. VFD's and soft starts are tripping on current imbalance.

JWT said:
and assume the balanced load is 0 ohms, and the line impedance is 0 ohms.

So you're after short circuit currents?

In this example, yes. Really what I'm after is getting an idea of what the percentage deviation would be on the line currents if a three-phase delta secondary comprised of single phase transformers that had different percent impedances (which in my case, two cans have 5.35%Z while the third has 4.04%Z).

Thank you, sir, for your help.

i didn't set down with pencil and paper

but does this not look soluble by basic circuit analysis?

3ph.jpg

Shorting the 3 apexes sets each phase current trivially to V/Z ,
is each line current not the sum of the two phases to which it's attached ?

Yes, sir. That does make sense. For some reason I was looking into using sequence impedances and didn't think to just do a simple nodal analysis. Thanks again for your help.

1. What is the purpose of using three single phase transformers with different %Z's?

The use of three single phase transformers with different %Z's is to create a three-phase power system. This allows for more efficient and balanced distribution of power, as well as providing redundancy in case one transformer fails.

2. How do you determine the %Z of a single phase transformer?

The %Z, or percent impedance, of a single phase transformer can be determined by dividing the rated voltage by the short-circuit current at that voltage. This value is typically provided by the manufacturer and can also be found on the transformer nameplate.

3. What happens if you have three single phase transformers with the same %Z?

If three single phase transformers with the same %Z are used, it can create an unbalanced three-phase power system. This can lead to unequal distribution of power and potential overloading of one transformer.

4. Can you use three single phase transformers with different %Z's in a three-phase system with an unbalanced load?

Yes, you can use three single phase transformers with different %Z's in a three-phase system with an unbalanced load. The transformers will still provide a balanced output, but the load will not be distributed equally among them.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using three single phase transformers with different %Z's?

One potential disadvantage is the cost of purchasing and maintaining three separate transformers. Additionally, if the transformers are not properly sized or matched, it can lead to power imbalances and potential damage to the equipment.